Walking? How much?

kattdjma
on 10/2/12 6:05 pm - Cary, NC
I am almost 1 week post op. I dont own a scale. but I dont see myself losing? How much walking should I be doing?
chatwidowed
on 10/2/12 8:27 pm
It's important to strike a balance between walking and resting. You are only 1 week post op and are going to be tired. I tried to walk for about 15 minutes each hour and just walked around the inside of the  house at a pace that I could manage. When I needed to nap - I did. It's important to get your rest. Don't worry about the scale - the weight will come off in it's own time. Just concentrate on your recovery - wlaking, resting, sipping - repeat. Good luck!
SHCahue
on 10/2/12 9:51 pm
 I walk 30 minutes per day (actually, the dog is enjoying this daily activity   ) . It have been 14 days since the gastric bypass and I already start working again. I will keep walking until I get my doctor approval to start jogging and later slow running.
Kay L.
on 10/2/12 10:26 pm - N., AL
Your body doesn't even know what's going on at 1 week post-op. You may even have fluids built up in your system still from the surgery. Right now, you need to concentrate on getting your nutrients in per your surgeon's eating plan, and on drinking your water. If you are cleared for vitamins, make sure you're taking them. And yes, move around (walk a little every hour). But don't over-do it. You just had major surgery. Rest is important too.

When you go back for your post-op checkup it would be a good time to weigh since you don't have a scale yet. At some point get a scale, but don't over-use it. Don't weigh every day or you will drive yourself crazy. This surgery will work for you. Don't worry.
BezoarGirl
on 10/3/12 3:13 am - WA

The comment by Kay is correct.  I was still bloated from all the air in my stomach the first week out.  Just walking a little in the a.m. then the afternoon followed by a pm walk is all you should be doing now.  I started at 15 min. increaments and have worked up from there.  I still have days that I feel I have over done it and I feel it the next day or later that night.

Congrats on your surgery! 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?