How much time?

lumina99
on 10/3/12 11:06 pm - ME
 How long will it take before I have my surgery? I have my consultation at 10 this morning!!!
stlfocus
on 10/3/12 11:46 pm - IA
It all depends on your surgeon's protocol and your insurance company requirements.  In my case, it was 6 months of supervised diet with my PCP.  Also during the six months, I had to meet with the surgeon, nutritionist, physical therapist and shrink on multiple occasions.  Required to have a mammogram, colonoscopy, pap, EKG, blood work and miscellaneous other tests I can't recall right now.  It seems overwhelming, but my surgeon's office was very good keeping me on track and the time just flew by.

So no one on this forum can give you a definite answer.  You will get some answers at your appointment today.  They may be able to tell you what is required by your insurance.  If not, contact the customer service department of your insurance carrier.
lumina99
on 10/4/12 9:57 am - ME
 Thank you! Wow, your insurance co. had you jumping through hoops! Better to be safe than sorry I guess
Mignon9
on 10/3/12 11:54 pm - OH
RNY on 09/24/12
Depends on your insurance normally.  Mine required 6 months of nutrition counsling.  Then after that all I had to do was visit the psychiatrist twice, cardiologist, my family doctor, a gynecologist.  I had to also lose 30lbs before the surgery too and go on a restrict diet.   The nutritionist visits were very helpful you don't want to miss thoughs. 
hannan
on 10/4/12 12:05 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
It was 7 months from my information meeting (mandatory for surgeon) to my surgery date. I had to wait until summer because I didn't want to miss school and I had a few other missteps. If I had been in more of a rush I could have had surgery about 4-5 months after the information meeting. It is dependent on your insurance (some require 6 months diet), your surgeon could take a month or two to schedule your surgery after you get approval.

Bottom Line I wouldn't hold my breath.

Michelle G.
on 10/4/12 12:15 am - OH
RNY on 10/17/12
I attended the monthly information seminar my surgeon requires you attend before they will even give you an appointment on June 12. I am scheduled for surgery on October 17th so it was four months. However, it would have been longer if I had not been working with my PCP for a year and a half before that on losing weight through diet and exercise alone. My insurance requires six months supervised weight loss. I already had that so it speed things up some. Also in my area my surgeon is the best so he is very booked up. It took roughly 2 months just to get in to see him. Good luck and I hope you have a speedy journey but a well informed one!

Michelle

HW : 350       GW: 150          CW: 190

Lori F.
on 10/4/12 12:23 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12
I started in late August. My insurance didn't require any additional testing or supervised diet, but my surgeon is requiring a sleep study. I am expecting that my surgery will be sometime in November.
Bellaluna468
on 10/4/12 12:30 am, edited 10/4/12 12:31 am
RNY on 10/26/12
Unfortunately the answer is everyone is different.

Based on some of your testing, you may also have delays as well.  Whether you need a sleep study, or have issues based on scopes, etc.

Additionally, much will be based on when you can get in to the various appointments & Doctors necessary to complete all you need.

Your journey will be unique to you and within your Insurance guidelines.

Good Luck to you.

lumina99
on 10/4/12 3:28 am - ME
Well today went great! I actually had my 1st of 3 visits with the dietician! So that takes off 1 month of waiting- they just had a cancellation at the right time. I have to call the psychiatrist to make an appt tomorrow. My insurance doesn't require a referral, so that helps. Full speed ahead!
lumina99
on 10/4/12 3:32 am - ME
Oh I almost forgot I'm attending my 1st support group tonight of 3 mandatory meetings. The Dr.'s office said since I have a flexible schedule it works in my favor because I'm put on the cancellation list for all the appts! Having a flexible schedule is so important!
Most Active
Recent Topics