Why does it work?

sleeplessteacher
on 10/3/12 11:12 am - MI
VSG on 12/26/12
I am in the final stages of having my surgery scheduled, but my husband still has some concerns.  Why did the surgery work for you?  If controlling food has always been a struggle, why can you do it post-surgery?   He wants to be supportive but doesn't understand why I am willing to have the surgery when I will have to follow so many restrictions post op and why I just don't follow a tighter routine and skip the surgery?

Thanks for any help.
(deactivated member)
on 10/3/12 1:48 pm
RNY on 08/31/12
 As my doctor told me, those that do succeed in weight loss are not guaranteed to keep if off. Most gain it back and more. The advantages are many but the main one is that it does make dieting easier and the RNY has the most success of keeping the weight off. It is like a fanastic tool that you carry around with you at all times. It helps keep you in check and helps keep you healthier.
shygirlxoxo
on 10/3/12 2:05 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
Most gain it back and more??? I didnt get that peptalk at my surgeons office....
MyLady Heidi
on 10/3/12 3:22 pm
 I think she is talking about people who diet only and lose weight, gain it back and more.  The reality is the same thing can and will happen after wls if you do not change your eating forever.  Wls is not a quick fix, it is a lifetime committment and there are real risks with surgery.  None of this should be entered lightly, no matter what you do in the beginning you will lose some weight, after that its up to you how much you want to weigh and how committed you are to staying there.  This is not for the faint of heart, it is not easy, don't let anyone kid you.  Your friend food is not your friend and the breakup is the hardest part.
shygirlxoxo
on 10/3/12 10:12 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12
Ahh ok, yeah i read that wrong. I knew was a very real chance of regain but not that "most" regain it.
wmamey
on 10/3/12 6:50 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On October 3, 2012 at 6:12 PM Pacific Time, sleeplessteacher wrote:
I am in the final stages of having my surgery scheduled, but my husband still has some concerns.  Why did the surgery work for you?  If controlling food has always been a struggle, why can you do it post-surgery?   He wants to be supportive but doesn't understand why I am willing to have the surgery when I will have to follow so many restrictions post op and why I just don't follow a tighter routine and skip the surgery?

Thanks for any help.
The surgery is a tool and you have to make it work for you however...
The reason it works is because it does 2 things
1 - restricts how much food you can take in (you take to much and your pouch will let you know!)

2 - it causes malabsorption (you don't absorb everything you take in) "Following a tighter routine" - WILL NOT do this for you!

I wasn't able to control what I took in before surgery becaue I liked to eat, and eat with a shovel!! There is NO WAY I am able to do that now. Like I mentioned above, if I skipped the surgery and followed a tighter routine and you stated I would not have the benefit of the malabsorption and at some point I would start "shoveling" it back in and regain. This surgery "tool" has allowed me to rethink my food choices, portion sizes and malabsorb some of what I do eat.

StephWantsToSki
on 10/3/12 8:57 pm - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with
Why it worked for me?
1.  It gave me time to develop other strategies for dealing with stress than eating.  I was forced to face my demons and find positive ways to cope.  (Be careful though, eating will eventually be an easy comfort .. I have to make myself use my newfound coping mechanisms).

2.  Carbs beget carbs for me.  The more carbs I have, the more I crave.  Once I get off the carb merry go around, it is easier to stay off.
poet_kelly
on 10/3/12 11:24 pm - OH
Surgery works for two reasons.

1.  Your stomach before surgery is about the size of a football.  After surgery, it's about the size of an egg.  That means you cannot eat as much food and you get full on small amounts.  Before surgery, you cannot get full on such small amounts.

2.  After surgery you do not absorb all the calories you eat for a while.  That helps you lose weight quickly.  There is not way to cause that to happen without surgery.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hannan
on 10/4/12 12:29 am - FL
RNY on 06/06/12
one word: Restriction

I could eat a foot long sub before surgery now I can eat about 2 slices of lunch meat.

grmadeb01
on 10/4/12 2:48 am - FL
yeppers, i agree the restriction...long ago i could eat a double quarter pounder, fries, real large size coke and split a 20 nugget with hubby...that was a meal....

now, 2 slices of lunch meat and a cheese, couple bites of fruiet..im full and satisfied........once we got rid of the fast food places long ago, i lost weight..but i still ate alot at one sitting for better food....now we eat the better food, just not as much as it...we dont eat out much any longer so we are also saving money with that....
good luck with your decision
debby