So nervous surgery next friday

AmberF
on 10/4/12 1:39 pm - Atlanta, GA
RNY on 12/12/12
So next Friday I have my surgery to remove my lap-band which I have had for 3 years. My surgeon wants to remove my band and let my stomach heal for 6 weeks and then do my gastric bypass. Which works out perfectly for me with my school schedule. Im just really nervous about the band removal! I was just wondering if its a risky surgery. Actually dont answer that! Then I will really be freaking out. I dont know I guess im just scared they might get in there and something will be wrong like it being attached to something. I just have to keep reminding myself that its a step I have to take to get the to the gastric bypass surgery and ulitmately losing my weight and getting healthy. Also my surgeon has put me on a low/no carb diet (20 grams or les a day) I can have meat, cheese, green veggies, and eggs only. I have been doing pretty well but its really hard. They said I could not gain any weight. I weighed in at 371 and at my pulmanary clearance appointment I was at 364. Anyways just looking for support to calm my nerves! Thanks
poet_kelly
on 10/4/12 1:51 pm - OH
Well, any surgery has some risks, but I don't think removing the band is usually very risky.  Sometimes there is some scar tissue and I know one person that had her band removed and the surgeon actually found that stomach tissue had grown around part of the band, including the port, making it very difficult to remove.  She actually still has the port inside her.  It couldn't be removed.  But I don't think that's common.  I've only heard of that happening to one person.

It'll probably be a fairly quick and easy surgery for you. 

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

dan434
on 10/4/12 3:24 pm - NJ
RNY on 05/22/12
you,ll do just fine think positive positive thoughts and prayers for you ! pray about everything fear nothing will keep you in prayer ! you got this girl  my brother inlaw just had his removed and all went well have a great day

dfarmer1196
on 10/4/12 10:29 pm
RNY on 10/16/12
I will be having the gastric bypass surgery on Oct.16th and I am very nervous.  It is a life changing experience.  The advice I keep getting is that I will do fine. So, you will do just fine.  I think the nerves are normal.  Keep me posted on what happens next and how you are feeling.
brenlee1965
on 10/5/12 1:07 pm - New Berlin, NY
I think if you went on the LapBand part of OH they might be able to help you with this concern about the LapBand being removed. I know some on that site talk about issues with the Band. Any surgery is something to make ALL of us nervous and scared. It's Surgery. I wish you the very best with your revision (hey come to think of it there may even be a revision site on here) not sure though. Keep drinking lots of water while you are low cal/no-carbing it and you will lose it quickly. I wish you the very best and welcome to the RNY site of OH.

Bren
 Bren                
Most Active
Recent Topics