Dumping or Stricture?

dizzylizzy19
on 10/6/12 4:53 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12
I'm now almost 3 weeks out from surgery.  All was going well (except right side pain****il Thursday... Thursday I pureed some beef and bean chili ate about 1/4 cup or so.  Three hours later I was extremely sick.  Throwing up, diaherra, nausea, hot and cold.  So... I assume I dumped.  I think it was the beef - as the chili was neither fatty or sugary.

Yesterday (Friday) I only ate sugar free jello to give my stomach a chance to relax.

But fast forward to today, I had some baked potato soup pureed.  This is probably the 4th or 5th time I've had it.  A couple hours later I got the tightness in my chest.  I've been throwing up on and off for the past hour or so.  I'm just throwing up water and my calcium chew that I look at noon.  Every time I take another sip of water I end up running to the toliet again - throwing up.

I figured I dumped on the chili because of the beef and I was ok with that.  But now with my reaction to the soup today - I'm worried it might be a stricture.  Because I've had the soup numerous times before I don't understand why I;m throwing up today

Can anyone give me any suggestions? 
wendydettmer
on 10/6/12 4:57 am - Rochester, NY
 i doubt it's dumping - as dumping is a specifc reaction to sugar, and unless the beef was cooked with sugar, it's not that.

it could be a stricture, or it could be that it didn't settle well with you.   

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

poet_kelly
on 10/6/12 5:01 am - OH
I don't think it's dumping, since I'm assuming there wasn't much sugar in the chili or the soup.  Plus, dumping usually happens much sooner after you eat something.  Also, dumping usually causes a rapid heart beat and sweating along with the nausea, vomiting, diarrhea - which don't always come with dumping. 

It could be a stricture.  I'd stick to full liquids for the weekend and give your surgeon a call Monday.  If you can't keep water down by this evening, though, then I'd call the surgeon this weekend - someone should be on call from his office even though it's the weekend.  You don't want to get dehydrated.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

lumina99
on 10/7/12 12:56 pm - ME
I'm so curious, what was it??? Hope you are feeling much better
Most Active
Recent Topics