8 Month Update and Random Question

Amanda S.
on 10/15/12 2:47 am - VA
RNY on 02/13/12
It has been 8 months and 2 days since my revision surgery to RNY and I am officially down 100 lbs.! I couldn't be happier with my decision to revise and love that I'm finally at an "Overweight" BMI instead of an "Obese" BMI. I'm shooting for "Normal" soon!

On another note, I have a question for anyone on here who might have been in a similar situation or know of someone who was. I'm 25 now and have had moderate/severe acne since my early teen years, and it's only gotten worse since the rapid weight loss started. I've tried nearly every topical and oral solution to treat this problem (Retin-A, Tazorac, Cleocin, Minocycline, Tetracycline, etc.) and now that I'm getting closer to my goal weight I really want to work on clearing my face up and building my self-esteem up. That being said, I have an appointment with a dermatologist scheduled for next week and I think I'm going to ask her about possibly trying Accutane. My question for the board is this: Has anyone been successfully treated with Accutane after having RNY? I worry about the absorption issues, but apparently a course of Accutane is 5-6 months, so I'm hoping that that will be long enough to have it build up in my system and work successfully. Any knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Pre-Surgery Weight: 253 lbs.
Current Weight: 135-140 lbs.

BluIzGal
on 10/15/12 3:14 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12
 I was on accutane on two separate occasions and both times my acne came back within a few months of finishing treatments. Mind you, it was pre RNY. I suffered worse with the side effects than the acne created and still have side effects from it (extremely dry eyes and skin, more prone to severe sunburns that have produce scarring with little exposure) Obviously I have no idea how bad yours is but I'd personally rather deal with the acne than the treatment using accutane.

poet_kelly
on 10/15/12 3:18 am - OH
Personally, I think I'd wait and see what happens after a few months of eating healthy and also make sure your vitamin D level is at least 80 (which is where it needs to be - lower than that, your immune system doesn't function well, along with other issues that can affect skin) and that your vitamin A level is good.  If doing those things don't help with the skin, then I'd talk about treatment.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

hopeforweightloss
on 10/15/12 12:17 pm
 I've been on accutane 3 different times.  Like you I had unsuccessfully tried everything else under the sun without any luck. It did clear up my skin pretty well, but the side effects can be pretty bad.  I now finally have clear skin, but of course I'm also 40 years old...  All three times were before I had RNY so I can't really offer any advice on Accutane after RNY.   I just know that for me, Accutane was the only thing that worked longterm for my acne.  Best of luck to you, I hope you find something that works for you!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views