whey protein shots/?

kattdjma
on 10/20/12 11:09 pm - Cary, NC
 Hi all. I'm three weeks out. Mostly head hungry. however I too am having trouble getting protein in. I bought the whey protein shots from walmart. 42 grams. is this ok? 

chickzero1
on 10/20/12 11:12 pm - Bossier City, LA
 I would love to know the answer to this too...I am also 3 weeks out and really struggling with the shakes! 

anewbeginning2012
on 10/21/12 12:08 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12
 I am also 3 weeks out :)
I never heard of these, that would be wonderful if they were good. I have been getting around 60-80 in a day, but this weekend I had a hard time- it would be nice to be able to get that much protein in an easier way.

Kris        
Kellysnewlife
on 10/21/12 3:58 am - LA
RNY on 08/15/12
Have you tried the rtd premier protien shakes from Sam's Club or Costco?  They have 30g protein and only 1g sugar.  The chocolate is good and I mix the vanilla with chai liquid and ice for an iced chai tea latte.
angeleigh
on 10/21/12 12:12 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12
As long a they are Whey Protein. I buy Protein Ice from GNC. Its a little easier for me to get down. There is alot of debate about how much protein to take at one time, most seem to say 25grams is that max your body can absorb at one sitting.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

MultiMom
on 10/21/12 12:26 am - NH
 No, they say whey protein but it is actually a protein blend. My guess is that the actual amount of whey protein is minimal at best. You would be much better off to add unflavored protein to yogurt, pudding and other drinks. Regular whey protein drinks will also help with your fluid intake and will actually give you what your body needs!

Back in the beginning (before I got smart) I tried one of these type protein shots and ended up in the ER with an allergic reaction. The ER Dr told me that there is something in these things that can cause that in many people.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

(deactivated member)
on 10/21/12 12:38 am
Last week my dietician showed us the exact same shots they have at WalMart because a patient brought one in to ask if she could drink those. The dietician said that they contain collagen (that's why they have a weird consistency/mouth feel) which we can't absorb very well after surgery. She said they may seem really appealing but they are a waste of money. I'd check with your dietician before trying to switch to those.
kattdjma
on 10/21/12 1:07 am - Cary, NC
Ok thanks all. I FIGURED something was up witg those shots. No one here at the Duke clinics ever mentioned them. Well I drank one... slowly.. but ill see if i can get my money back from Walmart today.
Lori P.
on 10/21/12 1:10 am - Kenosha, WI
I never found a protein drink I liked...my solution was to mix the powder with as little liquid a possible so it was sort of like a self made protein shot! 

SW 212 / Goal 130 / Current 130

Kay1975
on 10/21/12 1:18 am - PA

I drink the PURE PROTEIN shake already made in walmart.  They have vanilla and chocalate.  It has 23g protein. I add half a scoop of the whey protein which gives me 36g protein at once.  This works great for me.

Kay Kay

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 428 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 385 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 303 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 427 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?