Hurricane food ideas?

Darcy S.
on 10/28/12 9:52 pm - Clinton, CT
Well it looks like we're going to get hit hard in Ct. I have shopped and prepared but am getting a little nervous about eating healthy during the power outages.

Especially when I have been slipping like crazy! Bread and butter ugh what am I thinking!

Any ideas for healthy hurricane eating?

Decision made weight 265  SW 249 CW 153  9/4/12 next goal 145lbs  OMG                                

WhoIWantToBe *.
on 10/28/12 9:59 pm
RNY on 01/10/12

Are you eating peanut butter on your plan?

I'm going to hard boil most of my eggs before the power goes out.  (Apparently it's inevitable here in Maryland.)

- Barb, who is at GOOOOOOAAAAAAL!

HW: 274  SW: 244  GW: 137 CW: 137!
              Keep on swimming!  Keep on swimming! 

Darcy S.
on 10/28/12 10:03 pm - Clinton, CT
That's a good one I forgot about hard boiled eggs! I love them thanks! I got beef jerky, a pot of chili, cold cuts, peanut butter and rice cakes. But looking for non refridge ideas because they are stating it could be 2 weeks w out power. Ugh

Mendie Thompson
on 10/28/12 10:08 pm - TX
RNY on 09/24/12

Have canned meats available...chicken, tuna, etc.  canned chicken isn't as good as fresh cooked, but it will suffice under the cir****tances.  Good luck and be safe!

Heidi T.
on 10/28/12 10:09 pm
RNY on 01/31/12

We are looking at major power outages as well, the news said it may be up to a week before power comes back on, uggh. I have Ready to drink protein shakes and its really cold outside here, so I am going to put them in a bin with other drinks outside to stay cold. I also have protien bars on stand by. We are lucky that we have a generator however, we will not beable to pay for the gas for a whole week, no way we can afford it. I also have to drive all of the way to Boston for an appointment with a new surgeon to see if there are any new procedures that can be done on my knee. Yup I will be driving two states away one or two days post frankenstorm. Yup, you think Halloween is going to exist this year? We may be flooded out..

rny 1/30/12              
On 1/30/12 I begain my new healthier life, it is not easy, but day by day I will reach my goals.                
grmadeb01
on 10/28/12 11:53 pm - FL

been there and done that before, we got hit hard one year with 4 hurricanes back to back..im on the east coast of florida...here are some ideas to help you thru

get old milk jugs and fill them up with water..you can drink from those, and if not needed, then fill up your washer with current ho****er and just use the water....we have alot of jugs hanging from rope in our garage just for this purpose....fill those jugs now and freeze them..they make great ice for a cooler...if you have room in freezer, freeze what you can and just fill what you can.

i always make what i call hurricane stew, take what ever canned vegges you have on hand,green beans, corn, peas, tomatoes, potatoes, garlic etc... throw in with browned hamb....its good protein and fiber but does not take much to heat it up.. as it is already cooked thru, just need to re heat, and if push comes to shove, its not that bad kinda cold....we have a gas stove where most others have electric stove so they could not cook, make sure you have a BBQ and tanks filled, you can cook alot on a outdoor grill. 

you can also get those shelf ready milks, i know is called parmaleat, they make them in juice box sizes too. i would have small cans of tuna/chicken etc and have the small size of mayo or miracle whip to add to them, one whole mayo to one can of tuna. yes it is a bit more costly to purchase the smaller sizes, but you will eat it in one setting. there is a whole chicken and chicken noodle dish in a can, cant remember the brand name, they are not bad, but it is a whole chicken in a can. canned chilis and soups are great, get some crackers/chips/bread to have on hand, the store shelves clean out of those real quick, make sure your cars are all filled up with gas, and have cash on hand as debit card machines will not work with out power and long lines at the bank etc.....long lines at gas stations too, if you have gas cans, fill them now, you can put that in your cars when needed...

we were with out power for 2 weeks during that fun time, but our neighbor had a generator, he ran us a line and we both took turns filling the gas cans, and your neighbor across the street had nothing, so we kept giving her frozen jugs of water and she would bring us back the melted ones, when things were getting totally melted, my house could cook since we had a gas stove, so we did a pot lock with what was melted first and needed to be cooked, it was not a fun time, but we survived.

a grill is most important if you have an electric stove, you can do alot on a grill outside, the cans of chili and soups can just be heated on grill and eat of can with towel for heat pad, make sure you have napkins and plastic silverware, you dont want to have to try and do dishes on top of this

make sure to stock up on water, that is the most important, figure a gallon a day per 2 people, if the whole area looses power then the water plant may also loose power so i would be pre pared to boil your tap water as you don't know what will come thru on the tap lines

i always have a hurricane box of stuff, after hurricane season we rotate out the items we have battery operated lanterns, make great light, we have tap lites also for the kids to carry in their hands, they are small and easy for the kids to use, we have tons of batteries in our hurricane box, we rotate them out, get a cooler, use that rather than opening your fridge alot, fill cooler just once in a while from fridge, the fridge will stay cooler longer if not opened, lots of cards and games to keep you busy with no power, if no power, a hand held phone cordless phone does not work, but a regulare phone plugged to wall does, we had our phones plugged phone line, but neighbors hand held did not work, cell phones may be out of service too for a bit, make sure you have your chargers handy, and phone charger to chrge cell phone if needed we did watch a movie or 2 on a small size portable dvd, but was not that fun..

humm, i think that is most of what i can think  of now, if it is cold and snowey, make sure you have down blankets if possible, they are great warmth, but not heavy to have on, if snowey, they you can use the outside to keep water frozen to keep fridge cool inside, use a cooler outside to keep foods that need to be chilled, you will have more trouble keeping warm than i did as we were so hot down here.

good luck, i hope i have helped in some ways, but been there done that many times, and don't want to do it again

debby

jujubee4224
on 10/29/12 12:25 am
RNY on 04/09/12

To add something to the previous poster, go to your local fast food restaurants and stock up on individual sized ketchup, mustard, mayonnaise and other sauces that don't have to be refrigerated. I always keep a bunch of these on hand. They come in handy if I've forgotten something when I make chili, or some other recipe, etc. Also pick up some of those individual (free) parmesan cheese. Hit your Chik-fil-A, McDonalds, Wendy's, Taco Bell, Burger King, Arby's and other local chains. You never know when you can use them.

tinamarie_125
on 10/29/12 2:22 am
We have been stuck inside for 4 days now!!!! Aggggg....my eating has not been good. Last night hubby braved the weather and went to McDonald's. not good ....I was so sick. I eat when I get bored and have cabin fever. Good luck!!
2legit2quit
on 10/29/12 3:44 am - MS
RNY on 10/24/12

Canned chilli, refried beans, nuts, jerky, tuna, chicken, shelf milk in a box, powdered milk, carnation nsa instant breakfast, peanut butter with a side of Colace!!!  Ready to drink protein shakes or ones that taste good with water.  MRE's these can be found in the camping section at Academy's or whatever store that's sell camping gear and supplies.  Walmart even have them.  If you have a grill that's execellent!  Plenty of ice and water.  1 gallon per person per day for 3 to 7 days.  Crackers and bread if you can handle it.  Pepperoni slices and deli meat.  All the can goods can be eaten straight out of the can.

Darcy S.
on 10/29/12 4:55 am - Clinton, CT
Wow those were great tips! Still have power so far! Took my last hot shower for a while lol

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 430 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 386 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 428 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 311 views