Surgery the 29th

Victoria A.
on 10/27/12 11:14 am - MI
RNY on 10/29/12

My surgery is the 29th and I am so nervous!!! I was crying while talking to my daughter, asking what am I doing to myself? Is this normal?

CarolF3
on 10/27/12 11:35 am - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

From what I hear from everyone that has gone through it-yes, that is normal and then later they say that they would not have done it different.

It is normal to be nervous right before any surgery. I work in a hospital (the one that will be doing my surgery) on the Cardiac floor. All my patients feel nervous before any surgery or major procedure. It is considered a normal reaction.

You will be fine-just follow your doctor's orders and Team's instructions and you will be fine.

Today and up to your surgery make sure you exercise and then after your surgery you will be getting up to do some walking. It will be sore and you will be on pain meds. But, the sooner you are able (once you come out of the surgery meds) to get up and do a little walking the better and it will heal faster for you.

You will do fine.

Carol

Ann M.
on 10/27/12 11:54 am - Salisbury, NC
VSG on 11/21/12

WOW - My surgery is the 7th - I haven't gotten nervous yet. I'm scared stiff having to fly across country by myself. I can't understand why NO ONE will or wants to go with with me. The surgery is no big deal I guess because I've I had so many over my life time.

I think you'll do fine. I don't know you but if you weren't cleared for this you wouldn't have gotten this far! You are in the hands of professionals. And it will be over before you know it. Then you can let us all know how well it went. I know I'm excited to hear from you!! Just keep reminding yourself of these things. And that ALL of us on here are there in spirit with you - and eagerly awaiting your 1st post-op post!

Calm Nerves! And God be with you!!!!

jhnallington
on 10/27/12 12:34 pm - Elmira, NY
RNY on 10/29/12
I too am having surgery the 29th and I am also nervous wreck. I've been a nurse a long time but never a patient. Don't second guess yourself. You'll be perfect and your family will have you much longer. Best of luck!
Bellaluna468
on 10/27/12 2:23 pm
RNY on 10/26/12

Perfectly understandable...  I wondered what I was doing.  I really got nervous when I got the time to be at the hospital.

It's scary..but you are stronger than you think.

having gone through it now, it will be easy at first, I think it's the euphoria of the anesthesia and access to the pump.  The breathing is a little difficult, burping hard and hurts a little..all this gets better fast though.  

Lindah55
on 10/28/12 2:42 am - OR
RNY on 10/09/12

Good luck on your surgery. Being nervous is normal. I thought about backing out at the last minute and I had a bit of buyer's

remorse afterwards but it didn't last long. I never thought that I would feel that way but it happened. And that's OK. And you

will be OK.

quiltpainter
on 10/28/12 6:24 am - CT

I didn't sleep the night before surgery. I was quite scared. It has not been bad at all. After one night in the hospital I was discharged, I haven't needed anything stronger than childrens tylenol. The first two days home I felt like I had the flu. Within four days of surgery I smiled and I new I was gonna be okay. After four days each day I have felt better than the last. I am smiling all the time now. Thank God I didn't let the nerves change my decision.

Good Luck, you will be fine and back online here within days. Let us know!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics