Post-op leg numbness

mistyjean10
on 11/2/12 9:02 am - AZ
RNY on 10/29/12
I had my surgery on 10/29 and I have been home for two nights. Since I have come home, I have noticed that my right thigh is totally numb when I lay down. Then when I try to move it around, I get a burning sensation. Did anyone else experience this after surgery?

Besides my numb leg, the only pain I have is from the incision sites. I am super paranoid that my cat or dog is going to try and jump up on me when I am laying down. So I sleep with a pillow over my stomach (which is also great for the occasional cough, hiccup, or burp as I can brace those painful incision sites). Should I be giving my stomach more air?

My poor husband got to witness a little mood swing this morning. When we were in the kitchen, he was playing with me a pretended like he was going to hit me in the stomach. It totally made me break down and cry because I didn't even like him joking about it because of the pain I have there. Poor guy was trying to make me laugh and it seriously back fired!
joymarie33
on 11/2/12 9:56 am - RI
RNY on 08/21/12

Hi   wow that is so strange because I had the same problem right after surgery!   My right thigh was numb for about 3 weeks, and I could never figure out why that was?  I was glad when it went away!

JOY                 
mistyjean10
on 11/2/12 10:32 am, edited 11/2/12 5:32 pm - AZ
RNY on 10/29/12
I am so sorry you had the same thing. But man, it lasted for 3 weeks? I hope this doesn't last that long! Did it gradually lessen for you or did it kind of just stop?

I have a theory that it is probably from being on the operating table and being in the same position during recovery. Holy crow I miss sleeping on my stomach!
Robin R.
on 11/2/12 10:10 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

My left leg below the knee is still numb from surgery... only mildly though. I spent 3 days in the hospital and the first couple of days at home i noticed my left leg was numb and hard as a rock! it eased up after a couple of days and like i said its very mild now. no issues. been walking all the time even when i first went home. as you guys mentioned... i have no idea why....

also, i have pets too and i kept a pillow on my stomach when i was scared they would jump on me. one of the best things that helped me was getting a water bottle because my cat hates it so much all i had to do eventually was just pick up the water bottle and when he saw it he ran off.

Robin R.
on 11/2/12 10:11 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

just wanted to clarify.... a spray water bottle lol not just random water bottle :P

mistyjean10
on 11/2/12 10:37 am - AZ
RNY on 10/29/12
I totally knew what you meant

But that is really a fabulous idea. My kitty keeps creeping around and shooing him away doesn't always work. I am going to get a spray bottle right away.

Robin R.
on 11/2/12 10:41 am - PA
RNY on 10/12/12

When my cat gets in one of his "moods" he just does whatever he wants. Totally SCARY when you don't want anything coming within 10 feet of your stomach and that's their normal cuddle/attack place lol

babs_02
on 11/2/12 1:27 pm - NY

I had my surgery on 9/11 and I had the same  numbness in both thighs and when I laid down at night, my thighs burned and tingled. Stayed for about 3 weeks and now back to normal.

JanBooth
on 11/2/12 10:32 pm - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

I am diabetic and have had that numbness for a few years.  The top of my right thigh gets numb, then as it regains sensation it is sort of a cold, burning sensation?  Weird feeling.  It happens randomly...when I sit, stand or when lying down.  My PCP says it's called Meralgia Paresthesia.  It is common in obese people, as well as diabetics.  From what I've read, it's often caused by pressure or compression of a nerve that leads to the thigh. 
If you didn't have it prior to surgery, it could be from the position that you were in on the table?  You may mention it to your surgeon on your next visit just to be sure it's not something that needs to be addressed. 
Janet

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 452 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 409 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views