light headed/dizzy

dizzylizzy19
on 10/30/12 8:31 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12

Nearly 7 weeks out.  I'm getting in between 500-700 cals a day (physically unable to do much more!), walking between 1-2 miles a day, and getting in just about 60 grams of protein a day.  I've slipped a bit on my vitamins after my intestinal blockage- but getting back on the wagon.  My 6 week appointment was supposed to be yesterday, but it got cancelled due to Sandy.

My first issue is the subject of this post.  I'm light headed and dizzy nearly all the time.  But seriously intense when I get up from sitting or laying down.  Is this just a natural side effect of getting so few cals?

Second issue... I've been in a stall lately.  I'm down just over 30 lbs, but the last two weeks have been seriously slow!  I know you have stalls, but I'm frustrated!  Even more so, I've lost a signifcant amount of weight - I don't see if -- but other people have noticed.  BUT, I'm still in the same size pants - ugh! 

Third issue.  Food.  It just keeps getting stuck!  I'm eating soft foods (mainly yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, string cheese, chili's), but it seems that I can barely eat 1/4 cup and then baam I get that horrible pain in my chest and it feels like something is stuck. I make myself throw up - and I only get about a teaspoon or a tablespoon out, but it helps me feel better.  I've been trying to chew a million times!

chickzero1
on 10/30/12 9:19 am - Bossier City, LA

Me too! I am in the same size pants even though I am down 30 pounds as well....that should be at least 2 sizes down because lord knows if I had gained 30 pounds that would be 2 sizes! I am only 4 weeks post op...I think you are doing good. I get no where near 500-700 calories in a day. I am trying though. How do you get that many and the protein. Any tips would be appreciated. I think I need to go to unflavored protein powder and just add it to everything! I cannot add any insight on the dizziness but I hope it goes away soon for you! 

dizzylizzy19
on 10/30/12 9:30 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12

I hit 25 lbs in 4 weeks and the last 2ish weeks have been only about 5. 

My typical food is the following:

Breakfast: Protein Shake and/or greek yogurt

Lunch: Cottage Cheese (love the breakstone cottage doubles)

Afternoon snack: low fat (2% milk) cheese stick

Dinner: Some kind of meatish or beans.  Tonight I had Trader Joe's Just Sauce Turkey Bologainse with Low fat Monterey Jack Cheese

After Dinner: another protein shake

The one thing that REALLY helped me early on is protein jello.  I got sugar free jello and made the recipe on the side with fat free whipped cream.  I added 2 scoops of protein powder to each batch.  I then poured all the jello into little 2 oz condiment cups with lids (they end up looking like jello shots!)  Each 2 oz portion is about 17 cals and just over 2 grams of protein.  If I ever feel hungry through the day I grab one of these and they are actually good and give me protein too!

SarahLee1969
on 10/30/12 9:26 am - NY
First issue... lightheaded/dizzy is probably hypotension, aka low nlood pressure. Mine was very noticable if I bent over then stood up... would almost fall over unless I held onto something sturdy. It did get better with time AND I drink 1 32oz powerade zero for a little fluid, sodium, and potassium which has helped.
Second issue... stalls.They happen. Sorry, but they do.Some last longer than otherss.Many people will give you all sorts of advice on how to break it,etc. My only advice is stick yo your plan and move your body as you are able, the weight loss will resume.
Third issue ... at 7 weeks post opI recall only eating 1/4 cup of most things.I'm not postive when I was able to eat a little more, but dense/heavy foods
SarahLee1969
on 10/30/12 9:30 am - NY
Dense foods fill you up quickly, and this early out it is easy to take 1 bite too much! Take your time with meals, measure, and chew well.
All these issues should be brought to your next doctor apt... but all are pretty "normal".
dizzylizzy19
on 10/30/12 9:34 am - VA
RNY on 09/17/12

good call on the low blood pressure.  I've had obnixiously low blood pressure 90/50ish

(deactivated member)
on 10/30/12 10:15 am
RNY on 08/31/12

I second your advice on hypotension. Good advice! I used to have it years ago before I gained my weight. Happens especially when getting up. Yes, yes, yes, drink, drink, drink, fluids!!! I use vitamin water zero "rise" (the orange one) as it has some electrolytes. Works real good for my rare dizzy spells.

Pears678
on 10/30/12 9:41 am

I stalled naturally during that time as well, I feel like that's pretty normal. However, I also had that "food getting stuck" feeling, to the point of nausea and vomiting, and it ended up being a stricture. Be sure to tell your doctor those symptoms, a stricture is a quick fix and will make you feel SO much better once fixed.

MissK123456789
on 10/30/12 9:55 am - PA

Since everyone else addressed the low BP and the stuck food, I'll jump in on the 30 lbs but still in the same size pants.  That's not unusual.  Once you are cleared for exercise, you'll see your body change really fast.  I started doing the gym every day before work.  Even when I don't lose massive amounts of weight, the sizes are dropping faster than I can keep clothes!  Trust me, once you are exercising, you'll see a big difference fast!

Dave Chambers
on 10/30/12 11:15 am - Mira Loma, CA

Low bp isn't that uncommon when post ops begin losing wt.  I first had minor issues around 3-4 mo. and it progressed to far worse symptoms. If I was standing and had a dizzy spell, I either had to hold onto something to keep from falling down, or sit down immediately--I had to sit down in Best Buy one day.  I began seeking a resolution from my PCP. Back on bp meds, several tests, 2 Holter Monitor tests and one Event monitor test. I was finally referred to a cardio doc.  One more Holter monitor test and I had a diagnosis. I had major low bp issues that were irratic. Diagnosis was on a Thursday and on the following Tuesday I had a pacemaker implanted.  No more dizzy issues or passing out.  If it continues much longer, I'd start with your PCP to find out why you have this issue.  DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Most Active
Recent Topics