Back pain when I breathe

Victoria A.
on 11/1/12 8:15 am - MI
RNY on 10/29/12

I called my surgeon about the pain I am feeling on my right side. It doesn't hurt when I am sitting, just when I get up and attempt to walk, just hard to breathe, and when I am up it hurts to stand straight up. The surgeon told me it was just muscle pain and I over did my activity. I am still not feeling very confident with what he said, What if it's a serious matter. I am feeling pretty down right now:( Any suggestions?

poet_kelly
on 11/1/12 8:26 am - OH

If you have pain when you breathe, I think you need to be seen by a doctor.  Either get an appt with your doc tomorrow morning, or else go to the ER.

It may very well be muscle pain.  But just in case it's something else, like pneumonia, I would see a doc.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

fattynNC
on 11/1/12 12:45 pm
DS on 08/28/12

I had a duodenal switch in August.  I was in surgery for 7 hours because of scar tissue.  I had a stabbing pain in my back that I first thought was discomfort from laying in a hospital bed (DS'ers stay in the hospital for about 5 days after surgery).  When I got home the pain continued to get worse.  I went to the emergency room 8 days after surgery and a CT scan revealed that I had a partially collapsed lung due to the long surgery time.  It was actually cured by using my incentive spirometer once per hour overnight to puff the lung back up.  Your back pain may be something totally different but this was my experience.

qnmimi
on 11/1/12 1:07 pm - Cottage Grove, MN

I agree with Poet Kelly...I've heard more people complain of pain on their LEFT side being more bothersome due to the activity the left side got during the surgical procedure, and healing.  Better to know it's nothing, than to ignore the something it may be.