Lactose issues timeframe

mistyjean10
on 11/12/12 1:25 pm - AZ
RNY on 10/29/12
I see many of you on this forum say that you are now lactose intolerant after surgery. When did that begin for you?

My post-op diet includes a lot of dairy products and I have been doing just fine with them. Will there be a day when I may not tolerate dairy? What kind of symptoms did you have?
Dee.spunk
on 11/12/12 3:09 pm - Sacramento, CA
I think I didn't notice it until 6 months out, but I also wasn't eating as much. And now it seems to be even worse. Before, just milk seemed to affect me. Now even cheese gives me gas and makes my pouch hurt. I have to be careful with how much I eat. If eat a little in fine. If I eat to much, watch out!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Friendlybyte
on 11/12/12 4:38 pm - Greeley, CO
RNY on 08/28/12

I noticed as soon as I got home from the hospital and had to start drinking the carnation instant breakfast as prescribed... I would get really bad gas pains and then the runs!  I was warned it could happen... I hope it goes away but I know there is a big chance its here to stay for me!

Good luck!!

jessann5
on 11/12/12 10:22 pm - Kansas City, KS

My symptoms happened pretty much right after surgery. For me, it is a extremely bloated feeling, like my stomach was blown up with a tire pump or something, and then usually some abdominal cramping, horrible gas that is painful and sometimes diarrhea. I ate some homemade pudding last week that was made with milk and those exact same symptoms occurred so I guess I like to test the waters of pain sometimes! I use soy milk or almond milk now and I have gotten used to it.

Lactose intolerance does not happen to everyone, so hopefully it wont happen to you :)

Best wishes :)

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 348 views