Alcohol Timeline

cyn1029
on 11/8/12 12:45 am
RNY on 10/24/12

I am 2 weeks out from surgery and feel great - no DS, nausea, etc. 

I am not an alcoholic by any means. Before surgery, I'd have a drink or two every other month. My husband and I are having a weekend getaway for the first time away from the kids in 3 years or so. Is having wine a huge no-no at this time? I'll be 5 weeks out from surgery. 

I will add that I do not intend to drink it up (as I am sure I wouldn't be able to even if I tried), but have it for the novelty and take a few sips here and there.

What do you all think or recommend? If now is not the right time, when would be? I have a company retreat coming up in January and would like to take my husband along then too.

AprilM1969
on 11/8/12 2:31 am - OH

Has your doctor given you any guidance on when you might be able to try an adult beverage?  My surgeon told me 2 oz of wine...but NOT until I was 4 months post op.

cajungirl
on 11/8/12 2:45 am

Ask your surgeon.  I wasn't allowed alcohol until 9 months post-op (when I reached goal).  I will tell you it HITS you hard, a few sips is all it takes to feel the affects of it.  I personally wouldn't chance it at 5 weeks out.  It takes a while for your insides to heal, 5 weeks it's possible you are still healing.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

MrsLitch
on 11/8/12 2:47 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I think you need to ask your doctor or nut. I know my doctor says not for the first year. I drink typically once a year on our annual cruise, I won't be drinking on this years in Dec even though I'll be 6 mo. out.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

cyn1029
on 11/8/12 3:34 am
RNY on 10/24/12
It looks as though I will be waiting. I highly doubt my Dr will let me drink sooner than the time you all were advised. Better to be safe than sorry.
Thanks!!
Dee.spunk
on 11/8/12 4:13 am - Sacramento, CA
We were told no alcohol. I waited six months before I had a drink. At 8 months I had a bad reaction after drinking (one drink but it was strong) and ended up in the ER. It raised my liver enzymes and they couldnt get my BP up. Needless to say, I've not had alcohol since. Id rather be safe than sorry!

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Adrianne_Dawn
on 11/8/12 5:33 am, edited 11/8/12 5:34 am - WA
RNY on 05/21/12

I'm 5.5 months out and I've tried alcohol - although my doctor does say none for a year.  Here is what I've learned - after 2.5 beers I'm drunk (not wasted) but happy chit chatty drunk - BUT with some water and couple bathroom runs it's usually gone and out of my system with in an hour if I stop drinking after 2 (Which I do).  Alcohol hits me fairly quickly and stays with me much longer.  There isn't really a "sober to buzzed" it's pretty much "Sober to drunk" which is kinda hard to gauge so I try to keep it to a two drink maximum if I have hard A.  As for wine -  I got sick off a glass of red...haven't tried it again..but was fine with white, again I had like 1 glass.  Maybe it was a fluke?

Anyways - I don't drink every weekend or even every other weekend and I don't get wasted - and I ALWAYS drink water in between.  The one thing I did notice is that after alcohol is in your system you can eat food that your pouch may have normally not liked...which is NOT a good thing in my opinion. hahaha

The reality is it's empty calories and not really something our bodies want to process to begin with.  So use it sparingly if you do choose to do it.  I'd also recommend not drinking the first time when your out in case you get sick. :(

Hopefully no one gives me a lecture - i figured the honest truth was better then pretending I haven't tried it. hahaha

MissK123456789
on 11/8/12 7:20 am - PA

My surgeon said three months.  I waited 10 weeks and was fine. 

garnetgal
on 11/8/12 1:16 pm - Redwood City, CA
RNY on 04/02/12

My surgeon said it was ok to drink at my son's wedding when I was 7 weeks out, provided I tried it at home first as alcohol affects everyone differently. I ended up not drinking at the wedding. I have since a couple of times. I drink cognac and just sip it. I have always had a tendency to babysit my drinks so a couple of ounces of cognac can last me 45 minutes to an hour. I haven't gotten drunk and didn't have any side/ill effects from it.

aesposito
on 11/8/12 1:27 pm

No judgment here, and I am not going to say if it was a good idea for me or not... but here are the facts....

A month after surgery, I had a half glass of wine.  White.  No effect.

Three months after surgery, I had a full glass of wine.  Slight buzz.

A few months later I had 3 glasses one night and couldn't walk straight or remember my name.

Now a year out I can do about 2 glasses spread out over 2 hours fairly comfortably, but I wouldn't drive.  I pretty much go from sober to drunk, with no buzz in between.  And when I say glass, I am not filling it all the way.

This is coming from someone who could definitely hold her alcohol pre-surgery.

The lesson I learned here: if you are going to test your limits, test them veeerrryyy slowly..... and stick to white wine, less carbs than red.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Most Active