???

brt11565
on 11/11/12 9:27 am, edited 11/11/12 9:34 am - KY
RNY on 12/11/12

ok i am due to have my surgery dec 11th. ands 2 weeks before i got to my liquid deit. very excited. but is it bad that i am eating alot now before everything?i know it will be more to come off. i am not gaining no 20 pounds or anything llike that. i am just enjoying some foods that i like.i know my last dinner before the 2 weeks is gonna be a mushroom swiss burger from mcdonalds.i am trying to get it all out of me before i start to change for the best. and i know when i have the surgery i will be a different person. i have tried every diet out there and have failed. so i am now giving myself a brea****il the real diet comes.

Pittsteelers
on 11/11/12 10:19 am - PA
RNY on 08/06/12
I splurged before I went on my liquid diet. I was only on a liquid diet for 3 days before surgery. My last 4 days before I started my liquid diet I had Moe's everyday.

DisneyLover
on 11/11/12 10:24 am - WI

Be careful so you don't gain too much weight before you start your 2 week diet.  If you are seeing your surgeon before you start your 2 week diet and they see you gained weight, you could end up on a longer pre-op diet to lose what you gained before surgery.

One of the reasons for the pre-op diet is to prepare your liver (shrink it down) so your surgeon will have easier access to your stomach.

The more weight you lose before surgery the healthier you will be, making recovery hopefully easier.

A lot of people have their last dinner, just be careful.  Forming good habits early is a good idea. 

Sarah

slashes
on 11/11/12 10:36 am

Relax and do what u have to for yourself, but do not over do it. I also went on a small binge prior to surgery because I had to do it for myself to move forward. I did not gain weight though because it was not a daily thing, but I had to do it. Stop by my blog and read from the start I lay it all out there. We are only human and you will change - the surgery was the best thing I ever did and I feel fantastic.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

LadyAnastacia
on 11/11/12 10:39 am
RNY on 11/06/12

The whole reason to have the surgery is to commit to becoming healthier, and as a side effect we lose weight.  Increasing an unhealthy lifestyle may show your surgeon (through the scale) that you aren't prepared to be successful.  My surgeon looked for at least a loss of 5% of excess weight from the last weight-in, until the surgery date.

CarolF3
on 11/11/12 4:24 pm - Albany, NY
RNY on 12/17/12

My surgery will be either the end of Dec or early Jan. I am diabetic and don't eat much to start with. I won't be splurging before my pre op diet. I have already lost my 5% weight and have no wish to gain it back.

Carol

DebsGiz
on 11/11/12 7:50 pm - FL

Like you, I also "splurged" prior to buckling down.  Not realizing that while my life would be different, it would not be forever without those things I enjoyed. 

Please do keep in mind that the "real diet" is not coming.  It's a complete lifestyle change, not a diet.

Wishing you a very successful journey!!!

Silverbelle69
on 11/11/12 8:00 pm - Midlothian, VA
RNY on 06/05/12

I did have a couple of last meals.  Then a month prior to surgery I buckled down.  I did a 14 day liver shrink diet required by my surgeon.  I am glad I did this because it prepared me for my new lifestyle.

Mal
on 11/11/12 8:31 pm

I had one last meal (pasta at my favorite local italian place) about a month prior to wls.  I didn't have to do a 2 week liquid diet preop, but lose 5% of my total weight (over a 4 month period) and keep it off.  My surgeon as well as her staff stressed to me again and again that if I gained even 1 lb. over my surgery would be cancelled even on the day of the procedure.  

The point of the 2 week fast or losing some weight before your surgery is to shrink the liver, a large organ that lays over our stomach.  The surgeon's need to lift it up and hold it with a small paddle-like tool and if its fatty it makes their job harder and could potentially cause you complications if the liver is nicked.  

I will echo what another poster wrote.  This is an entire life change, not a diet.  Don't change your mindset and you will not be successful.  Losing the weight is the easy part.  Changing your thinking and your relationship with food is much more difficult but must be done in order to be a success long-term, no matter what surgery you have.

Mallisa

Dee.spunk
on 11/12/12 12:16 am - Sacramento, CA
Idk. I didn't think having a last meal was the smartest thing to do, at least not for me. I understood that this is a life change and I decided from the get go if I can't make these life changes before the surgery I won't be able to do them after. So I stuck to it. I didn't have any last meals. I ate what I was supposed to, excersized, and stuck to my pre op plan. I'm glad I did. But not everyone is the same. Maybe what works for me won't work for you. I don't know.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 454 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 353 views