Need links on NSAIDs causing ulcers not from contact

scarlettbegonias
on 11/12/12 5:09 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I'm having a very petty argument with someone in a private Facebook group who is trying to convince someone NSAIDs taken with food are fine because it lowers the contact- amongst other stupid statements I have a couple of links but I'm hoping some of you clever rnyers have some more I can post

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

MultiMom
on 11/12/12 7:35 pm, edited 11/12/12 7:41 pm - NH

Most docs tell patients not to take NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) after RNY but they don’t always explain why.

NSAIDS put you at risk for ulcers. They do that to everyone, not just RNY folks.  But ulcers are particularly dangerous to us.  If you get an ulcer in your pouch, even a small one, since your pouch is a lot smaller than a normal stomach, it will cover a much greater percentage of your pouch.  If you get an ulcer in your old stomach, docs can’t even do an endoscopy to see it.  They’d have to do surgery.  Also taking a medication designed to coat the stomach wouldn’t help an ulcer in the old stomach because nothing you take by mouth goes in there.

We really, really don’t want an ulcer.

NSAIDS can cause ulcers because they cause the lining of the stomach (the old stomach and the pouch) to thin out.  This does NOT happen when the medication enters the pouch or touches the pouch.  It happens when the medicine enters your blood stream.  That’s why you can get ulcers in your old stomach.  NSAIDS taken by mouth don’t touch the old stomach but can still cause ulcers there.

Any way you take an NSAID – pill, liquid, shot, IV, patch, gel – it gets into your blood stream.  If it does not get into your blood stream, it will not give you any pain relief or relieve inflammation.  Many docs don’t seem to understand this, though I don’t know why since they have to take pharmacology in medical school.

Many docs that are not bariatric surgeons also don’t know RNY patients should have not NSAIDS so be very vigilant about what other docs try to give you.  I finally started saying I am allergic to NSAIDS.  They seem to listen to that more.

Some surgeons say it’s OK to take NSAIDS on a very limited basis if you really need them as long as you also take Nexium or something like that to help protect your stomach.  Others say it’s never worth the risk.  A few say it’s OK to take them whenever you want, but I think they are nuts.  But what I really think is that we need to weigh the benefits of taking them against the risks.  Is the pain of your bad back or menstrual cramps or whatever worse than the pain of an ulcer would be?  If so, take the NSAID.  But take it with something to protect your tummy.

Now, how likely it is that taking NSAIDS, especially rarely, will cause an ulcer, no one can say.  I know people that took just one dose and got an ulcer.  I know people that took them many times and had no problem.  So it’s just a matter of whether or not you wanna chance it.

http://www.gastricbypasscoaching.com/why-we-cant-take-nsaids/

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

scarlettbegonias
on 11/12/12 7:49 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Thanks multi mom - the section in red was part of my argument,I'm really frustrated with the complete lack of knowledge that's within this group( it's a local one) and I don't understand how I've managed to understand the surgeons words yet a good 2/3 are completely oblivious and spurting nonsense that realistically could be dangerous to themselves and those they're spurting it to- it seems I'm the only person that's done any research further than the white folders we were given, insane, who lets themselves be cut open with out a full comprehension of what's being done to them, the after affects and the changes slight or large that need to be made afterwards.

sorry rant over.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

MultiMom
on 11/12/12 8:04 pm - NH

My father (bless his soul) always said "You can't fix stupid.". So many people have this surgery and then change the "rules" to fit what they want them to be. 

YOU sound like your head is on straight and will be successful in the long term .

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

scarlettbegonias
on 11/13/12 4:34 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Thank you - my husband tells me the same thing..... 

poet_kelly
on 11/12/12 8:21 pm - OH

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

scarlettbegonias
on 11/13/12 4:32 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Perfect thanks Kelly!