Need protein advice for my mom

AmyB1012
on 11/18/12 3:08 pm

My mom had bypass about 10 years ago. She lacking hugely on protein. Ive been on her about it a lot lately bc her hair thinning big time. She says she hates protein shakes(i have two otw to me i plan to make her try). Any other ideas i can give her for stuff that really high in protein?

a_dmond_n_the_ruff
on 11/18/12 3:38 pm
RNY on 09/17/12

She knows what she needs to do.  Go back to basics and make sure she's eating her protein first.  Chicken, fish, beans, etc.  A 10yr veteran knows all of that.  She should be able to get all of her protein from food that far out.  Good luck.

Shannon
HW: 260 SW: 254 DOS:227 CW: 175   27lbs lost before surgery

JJ_
on 11/18/12 8:50 pm

When was the last time she had a full set of blood work done?  Protein may not be her only issue.  She does not have to have protein shakes. 

Chicken, beef, pork, fish or seafood provide the best amount of protein per ounce.  Cheese, greek yogurt, milk also provide protein, plus the necessary calcium.  Snacks such as nuts or cheese also help towards the daily protein amount.

Your Mom may need to track her intake for a week to see where she is doing okay or not.  Hair loss is just one sign.  There may be others if nutritional deficiencies continue.

Judy

poet_kelly
on 11/18/12 9:04 pm - OH

There is no reason she should need to use protein shakes if she doesn't like them.  At ten years out, she should be able to get enough protein from food easily.  Things like meat, seafood, eggs, milk, cheese, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beans, and tofu all have plenty of protein.  But I'm guessing she already knows what she is supposed to eat, right?  It's up to her to do it.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.