What defines a "Stall"

lizpete
on 11/23/12 10:07 pm - Marlboro, MA

I  understand that it is when you stop loosing for a period of time  but what is the time frame?  A week? a month?  I did not loose any weight this week so would that be considered a stall?  I am 7 1/2 months out and until this week I have lost anywhere from 1 to 5 lbs weekly.  I am great at getting in my protein but not so good at fluid intake and exercise.

JennLyric
on 11/23/12 10:13 pm

I think I'm just starting to move out of a stall that saw NO weight loss for almost 2 weeks.  VERY frustrating, but I knew it would move again.  I believe that stalls are simply re-adjusting moments for our bodies and are probably healthy.  Congratulations on 7 1/2 months!!

ChristineB
on 11/23/12 10:14 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On November 24, 2012 at 6:07 AM Pacific Time, lizpete wrote:

I  understand that it is when you stop loosing for a period of time  but what is the time frame?  A week? a month?  I did not loose any weight this week so would that be considered a stall?  I am 7 1/2 months out and until this week I have lost anywhere from 1 to 5 lbs weekly.  I am great at getting in my protein but not so good at fluid intake and exercise.

My understanding is that it is when you do not loose any #s OR inches for a minimum of 30 days. So, it is a good time to be taking measurements and to be watching how your clothing fits. If you notice that you clothing is getting real big on you then you are technically not in a stall.

Try changing up your exercise routine and see what happens.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

MultiMom
on 11/23/12 10:23 pm - NH

Everyone has their own definition of what is a "stall". No matter what the time period that they personally determine it is entirely normal. Your body is just adjusting to the caloric intake vs calories expended. I am willing to bet that if you up your liquids to at least 64 ounces and exercise (even just by vigorous walking) that you will see a good number of pounds drop off fairly quickly. 

At 7 1/2 months you aren't going to lose like you did earlier on, but it is also not the time to get complaicent in doing what you should be. 

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

ChristineB
on 11/23/12 11:20 pm, edited 11/23/12 11:21 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL

There is great information on the ASMBS.org website in regards to stalls. Go to Resources - Guidelines - then all the way to the bottom is a link for Bariatric Surgery: Postoperative Concerns. It is a rather long article but it covers stalls near the bottom. (Reaching a Plateau).

You can print it out in PDF format and save for future reference. It covers many different surgery types and also has info regarding supplements.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 261 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 274 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 318 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 276 views