How do you know if somethings stuck or another stricture?

big42long
on 11/29/12 2:36 am - OH
I'm 18 weeks post op. I have had multiple strictures and am afraid I may have another one. It started yesterday. I took a few bites of leftover pasta and got this sharp pain in my chest and began to vomit. I then called dr and was told to switch to liquids. Did that. Still had some discomfort but no more vomiting. Dr's office called back and told me to try to eat dinner. Tried some lettuce with taco meat. Still discomfort but no vomiting. Woke up this morning and tried 1/2 bagel thin with an egg and that came back up. Waited 4 hours and tried tuna salad. Now I'm sitting here in pain vomiting. Dr's office said it's to early to tell but keep a food journal and call if I can't keep liquids down! Help any advice?

Heather B.
on 11/29/12 3:18 am - UT
RNY on 09/20/12

sounds to me like a stricture. I had one, and I was still able to eat soft, slider foods and liquids. my opening was only about a 1cm. so even with you hardly having an opening at all slider foods (soup, yogurt, etc) can still go down.

I don't know why they would want to wait to have an endoscopy until it closed all the way? We weren't even sure if that was my issue or not, but my doctor did an endoscopy anyway.

I would see if you can get one scheduled. Cause either way it doesn't sound like every thing is alright.

Amanda M.
on 11/29/12 4:05 am
RNY on 01/18/13
How far out are you? Since two times the throwing up was after pasta and a bagel, I am wondering if you are unable to tolerate starches/carbs yet. Maybe the pasta just really made your pouch angry and is causing discomfort throughout the day now. Did you chew your food enough?

I suggest going to liquids for a day, letting your pouch rest, and then avoid heavier foods for awhile.

Amanda M.
on 11/29/12 4:07 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Sorry...just saw 18 weeks post op. My surgeon doesnt allow breads or pastas for 6 months after. Have you done well with them before? If so, I would request a scope.

big42long
on 11/29/12 10:22 pm - OH
Yes I've done fine with them before. I thought I chewed my food well enough. I'm going to wait and see how I do today with food. Just wasn't sure if there is a way to tell if something is just stuck

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 467 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 426 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 441 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 358 views