OT pain meds after RNY

Jeanine J.
on 12/1/12 1:44 am
I am having foot surgery on the 14th. I cannot tolerate Tramadol (a strong non narcotic pain reliever) so I am wondering how other stronger meds will affect me. Do any of you have issues with pain meds after surgery? How do you take them? Do you take them in smaller doses, use liquid? I don't want to use it a lot but I also don't want to be in pain.
(deactivated member)
on 12/1/12 2:50 am

I take Vicodin tablets. It makes me VERY nauseous, so I take Phenergan with it and it works fine. I think everyone does different stuff and has different preferences.

poet_kelly
on 12/1/12 2:51 am - OH

I just take normal doses of pain meds and not liquids, either.  I use Vicodin for my back sometimes, the tablets, not liquid.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

stephkaz
on 12/1/12 12:33 pm - IL

I still have some Lortab (liquid) from my surgery and some Norco 7.5/325 from my menstrual situation.  I find I do get more "Stoned" now than I did before surgery.  I have been on pain meds for my back for so many years they start not working. When I was in the hospital a few days back i was injected with Dilaudid.  That stuff did not make me even blink before surgery.  Now that I had it, boy oh boy does it ever do the job. I was flying! I think its a person by person answer but for me, its a blessing. Now I dont have to double up on them anymore to get the pain relief that I need.

You, I've mistaken for destiny, but the truth is my legacy is not up to my genes...

terilynn112
on 12/2/12 9:47 am - maryland, NY
I take same doses. I take oxycodone, for my back and another chronic pain problem I have. That said, I feel it sooner, and I feel it more, but for less time. Seriously 2 hours sometimes if I'm lucky three hours and it's completely gone. It gets frustrating.

teri

Teri
Lapbanded 9-16-08 revision from Lapband to RNY on January 11, 2011
HW 273/ 1st surgery 243/Lapband removed 260/ Current 172/ Goal weight 169

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 437 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 392 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?