Surgery on Monday to have a Feeding Tube placed! Any advice?

rutabaga
on 11/30/12 6:28 am - St Clair Shores, MI

After multiple attempts at solutions and after a barrage of testing, my surgeon has decided to give me a feeding tube. 
I am 9 weeks post-op (82 pounds down) and have barely been able to eat or drink anything since surgery. 
After 3 EGD's and an assortment of other "tricks" of the trade, my eating and drinking has come to a halt. 
I cannot eat or drink ANYTHING without retching, gagging or vomiting it back up. 
Sooooo.......on this coming Monday, I have having a feeding tube placed. 
Amongst the glitches I have had, this is a big one. Yet! Still just a glitch. 
Hopefully this will help and I can continue to move forward in a positive light. 
You have to keep positive and focus on the goal. 
2013 will be an AMAZING year for me and I have to keep believing that fact. 
I have a wonderful surgeon and a top notch surgical team taking care of me. (My Hero & My Angels) 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. 

Have a blessed day!

Kelly L.
on 11/30/12 6:33 am - San Jacinto, CA

Well, your positive attitude is the right way to look at things! It stinks that you have had these issues start for you at the beginning of the journey.. Hopefully things will move in the right direction for you now! Good luck to you on Monday I will be thinking of you with positive thoughts!

HW 274. CW 129

LadyAnastacia
on 11/30/12 7:27 am
RNY on 11/06/12

What a wonderfully positive attitude.  I hope all goes well and you can have it removed soon.

karenp8
on 11/30/12 7:44 am - Brighton, IL

Praying for a successful procedure and for being able to move forward in your journey. With your positive you will have success!

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/12 2:34 pm
RNY on 08/31/12

I hope and pray they can find a solution for you. You will have to come online and let us know how you are doing. I don't know anything about feeding tubes but hope someone does and can give you some insight into them.

rockym
on 11/30/12 10:40 pm

I pray that all goes well for you and that you have a fast recovery and are able to eat and drink soon.

MrsLitch
on 11/30/12 11:27 pm - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

If they can't find anything physically wrong with you as to why you can't keep food down. Perhaps going to a therapist to look at mental reasons might help? I only say this because I have caught myself a couple of times since surgery gagging, retching and actually vomitting once when there was no reason to. Since I have been seeing a therapist since my surgery I brought it up in session. He gave me some things to work on mentally when I am like that. it's actually helped. I think for me personally my mind was making me sick because of some deep rooted issues with eating and not wanting to fail the surgery. I still get sic****aisionally like lunch on Thursday ugh but the things that had me gagging and retching previously now might make me nauseous but don't get me in the state they originally did. Not saying it's the issue with you but if nothing else can be found it may be worth looking into.

I wish you well.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

rutabaga
on 12/1/12 6:24 am - St Clair Shores, MI

I was progressing nicely with my diet up until the 4th week post-op when my stoma closed and they had to re-open it. 
The thing is, I WANT to eat and drink. I am hungry and I am thirsty and I want to move forward with my new menu choices.
Simply, I just want to move on with my life. I have no worries about failing and have worked through all my issues with food. 
I want to live again and I want to enjoy life and I want to at least try to make up for a lot of life that I have lost from being obese. 
Here and there I thought about it being in my head and even asked my surgeon about it. We are both puzzled as to why it is happening. 
He told me that although it is a rare occurrence, that he has seen it before. 
Occasionally retching and gagging wouldn't even phase me, but I retch and gag on everything I try to ingest and it also causes tummy upset for several hours afterwards. 
Thanks for your input. 
Have a blessed day. 

weaverwoman
on 11/30/12 11:55 pm - TX

I haven't had any personal experience with feeding tubes, but I have worked with many kids who have had them and also adults (mostly people who have had strokes and have trouble swallowing safely).  If you search online for "g tube" or "g tube care" there is a lot of information out there.  There are even videos of g-tube placement and instructions on how to take care of it.

Hopefully this is just a bump in the road on your way to a healthier new life!

Good luck and keep up the great attitude!

Most Active
Recent Topics