Sugar replacement??

lilkeea
on 2/8/13 2:27 am - Sioux Falls, SD

Hi my name is Danielle, I am about 4 years post op & am wondering what everyone uses for a sugar substitute? I had been using Splenda up until just recently because I had heard there are harmful ingredients in it like aspartame which isn't good for you.  Any suggestions or advice? Thanks.

april89love
on 2/8/13 2:37 am - NC

I thought it was only in the generic splendas. I still use splenda but I have been trying some new things lately. Nectresse is pretty good but pricey. I found some monk fruit extract in the sweetener section at walmart and it is pretty good.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

molly3613
on 2/8/13 2:44 am - TX
RNY on 01/24/13

Stevia was recommended to me and I like it.

Laura in Texas
on 2/8/13 3:03 am

I was having horrible cravings so I switched from Splenda to raw Stevia. Since I switched, my cravings have gone way down.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lilkeea
on 2/8/13 3:12 am - Sioux Falls, SD

Thank you all for ur suggestions.  Stevia is that similar to Truv'ia? I am trying Truv'ia now and it seems to be ok although pricey, however, part of me feels like I am using more of it, maybe it's not sweet enough for me.  As for Splenda, I really like it, but I keep hearing such negative things about it & I have had trouble with dumping, so am wondering if that is what is causing it.  It's so hard to know what causes dumping because so many things can.

thynnlynn
on 2/8/13 3:29 am - MI

I buy the big bags of Stevia in the Raw and I like it.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

JanBooth
on 2/8/13 3:30 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

You must be friends with 100 Days of Real Food folks on facebook?  I read the posting that was on a few days ago.  The one thing that you really need to do, is not just go with hearing about harmful ingredients.  Research for yourself. 
Splenda does not contain Aspartame.
Equal has Aspartame.  Sweet N Low has Saccharin.  Truvia is from a plant that is mixed with erythritol crystals (sugar alcohol). 
All of the sweeteners, including plain old white sugar, have negatives.  Just have to find the one that works best for you. 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

lilkeea
on 2/8/13 3:39 am - Sioux Falls, SD

Thank you Jan. I am not friends with them on FB, but I did see a post on there about Aspartame & Splenda.  I did some research like you suggested and didn't find it in Splenda either, but everyone kept saying it was included. Thanks for clearing that up for me, I thought I was going stir crazy for a moment..Lol  :) I agree with you have to find what works best too, guess I will just keep sampling them all. 

JanBooth
on 2/8/13 4:19 am - KY
RNY on 09/25/12

That article, in particular, was upsetting for me.  The facebook page administrator, who I'm sure has good intentions, suggested using plain old white sugar instead of a sugar substitute.  I know that there are people who will take her word as the gospel truth and could end up having serious health problems.  I just think people should be more responsible for the information that they put out there. 
I am diabetic.  If I went by what she suggests, I'd have serious blood sugar problems. 
I just take the information for what it is...information.  From that, I do research to find what's best for me and my family. 
You're not crazy!  :) 

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss~

lilkeea
on 2/8/13 6:39 am - Sioux Falls, SD

I so agree!! =)

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 416 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 356 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views