Feeding tube is placed. What could possibly be next?

rutabaga
on 12/7/12 11:55 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

10 weeks out. 100+ pounds lost. 3 EGD with dilation done. Upper GI done. Abdominal series done. 
Most of November was spent in the hospital due to this and that glitches from Roux-en-Y procedure. 
Dehydration.... Malnutrition....etc.  

Now I have a feeding tube placed for a minimum of 8 weeks. 
My surgeon is wonderful and is on top of me about everything that happens.  
He came in on his day off to place my feeding tube. What a truly amazing man!

These glitches as I call them are getting more and more and sometimes I get sick and tired of being a good trooper. 
I have my little pity parties for myself and then lift my head up and push forward. 
2013 will be MY YEAR! Many great things are going to happen to and for me in this upcoming year. 

Anyone else end up with a feeding tube? Thoughts? Suggestions? 

Have a blessed day!

MultiMom
on 12/8/12 12:10 am - NH

Hopefully the next thing to happen is NOTHING. Wouldn't that be different for you? Keep up the good attitude my friend! I am wishing you nothing but the best!!

Martha

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

rutabaga
on 12/8/12 6:51 am - St Clair Shores, MI

Hey Martha:

The next thing that happens is my clothes keep getting too big for me! LOL
I will be amazing next year. I can't wait to post the most awesome pics when my transformation is complete. 
Just gotta have a little patience, faith and surround myself with positivity and everything will be Groovy! 

I keep looking back at the pictures of me in ICU this past Spring when I nearly died and we had planned my funeral. 
There is entirely too much life for me to live to be planning my funeral. That's crazy talk! I am pumped full of life now
and I want to spread my wings and fly!!!

Love hearing from you Martha! 

Happy Holidays! 

Dee.spunk
on 12/8/12 12:11 am - Sacramento, CA
I'm sorry you've had so many glitches. But I'm glad to see you're keeping your head up! A positive attitude is very important! Hope all turns out well for you.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

apurdie
on 12/8/12 12:36 am - CA

After the tube is taken out, I think that you should post more when you are making problems getting your water and protein in.  I was also, but the forum directed me to ways to get in it.  Good luck!

Reel
on 12/8/12 2:28 am

Sorry to hear about what you are experiencing. Keep up the positive attitude. I would want to know from the surgeon what exactly went wrong and why are you having these complications? I know that some people do experience strictures. But then some dont.  It is truly bizarre. 

My surgeon told me (and it doesnt mean that this is true in every case), but he told me that generally speaking when somoene's ROUX N Y is aggressive, (extra small pouch, lots of intestine bypassed) that the patient may be at a higher risk for post surgical complications. I'm not sure how much your starting weight was, but losing 100 pounds in 10 weeks is a good amount of weight. I've been post surgery for 1 year and 1 month and still have not lost 100 pounds. 10 weeks out, I might have been down about 32 pounds. Best wishes on your recovery! It will happen soon!

Highest Weight: 314, Pre-Op Weight: 294, Surgical Weight: 279, 1st Goal Weight: 170, 2nd Goal Weight: 155, Current Weight:163

rutabaga
on 12/8/12 6:44 am - St Clair Shores, MI

Thank you so much for your input. 
I was a very high risk patient and my surgery lasted twice as long as predicted. 
True, it was even surprising that I made it out of the O.R. alive. 
It was either surgery or definitive death (and soon) 
Yes, I did have strictures that were taken care of with the EGD with dilation (for now).
I continue to be at high risk for complications, but it's all better than being 6 feet under. 
My health is improving on a daily basis and I can do quite a few things I couldn't or haven't been
able to do in years. Most of my medications prior to surgery are gone and quite a few of my medical problems have resolved. I have about 200+ more pounds to go. My surgeon told me that I would easily lose 100 pounds by Christmas (done), 200 pounds by Easter and the remainder by my surgiversary date in September 2013. That is 300+ pounds lost in ONE YEAR! How absolutely exciting! Of course some will be lost to tummy tucks, nips and polishing, but I will be a Diva! 

Thanks again for your response. It means more than you know. 

Have a Happy Holiday Season!

Kris

scarlettbegonias
on 12/8/12 6:35 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12
I feel your pain.
Good luck with the feeding tube, I couldn't handle mine, keep up the positive attitude, it definatly helps even if it feels like it doesn't at times.
I hope this is the end of it for you and after this its Clear sailing!!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

rutabaga
on 12/8/12 12:23 pm - St Clair Shores, MI

Thank you for replying. 
I can't say that I am handling my feeding tube very well. 
Let's just say I see the bathroom more than I'd like to and I have an awful lot of extra laundry that has to be done. 

I sure hope this is the last of my glitches for awhile. I'd like one month to pass without having to be admitted into the hospital for one thing or another related to having the Roux-en-Y surgery performed. 

Planning for a wonderful and fun Summer next year. 
It will  be here faster than I can imagine. 

Have a blessed day!

DebsGiz
on 12/8/12 11:19 am - FL

No, I have never had anything like what you're going through happen to me, but did want you to know that I do think you're being one hell of a trooper.

You've been through a lot, and are continuing to go through a lot, so you have certainly earned the right to vent.

Hope things begin to brighten for you soon.

Most Active
Recent Topics