JP Drains - Anyone?

jmelyn1977
on 12/8/12 10:43 am
I have 2 drains - 1 on each hip - post TT last Wednesday. They are now producing less than 10cc of drainage. However, one of the drains is draining DARK red blood. Looks more coffee colored. :-/
I'm a little concerned. But I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has any I input on this. It may be normal. I'm not sure. Otherwise - the site and everything looks great and no pain associated there. Actually a little itchy due to the healing. The other is serosangious and looks good.
I will call on Monday. They aren't suppose to be pulled out until Thursday but since they are barely draining I may get them out sooner.

Any input on the pain level of getting them pulled out!? I'm a little scared.

Thanks for any input on this.
Jamie

vamicurn
on 12/8/12 11:47 am

Hi Jamie,

Your description of the amount and color of the drainage is encouraging.  The coffee colored drainage is quite normal and just indicates old blood draining from the wound.  The serosanguinous is also normal and indicates normal serous body fluids draining with a tinge of blood.   The amount is minimal and does indeed indicate that the drains are ready to come out.  As far as the discomfort of having the drains removed, don't sweat it!!!  It will be uncomfortable for a mere half a second!!  You won't even have time to rate the level of pain on a scale of 0-10.....that's how quick it is :)  I would say that the feeling is more "un-nerving" instead of painful  Just a "weird" feeling.  That's all.  So in other words, don't lose sleep of it!!  Good luck to you!

Lisa

jmelyn1977
on 12/8/12 12:05 pm
Thank you Lisa. I figured it was ok. Just really needed a second opinion. The dark blood was all I was worried about. But the old blood would make sense from the cir****tances that surrounded my surgery.
And - great to hear about the pull out of the drains. Makes me happy to hear that it's not super painful.

Thanks again Lisa!

Jamie

walterswife
on 12/8/12 12:13 pm

I have not had plastics but had drains following reconstructive breast surgery. The thought of having them removed frightened me but a quick yank and it was over. Pretty pain free. The idea of it was the worst part. 

HW 240/ SW 229/ GW 146/CW 125; OH Support Group Leader   

Starting size:  18W-20;  Present size: 0 or 2; 5'5-1/2" tall. 
Current BMI 20.4 as of 2/13/2013 (normal for the first time in my life).
Goal weight reached on 8/12/2010; As of 1/13/2013, 21 pounds below goal

jmelyn1977
on 12/8/12 11:19 pm
Thank you very much for the reassurance.

Jamie

Annie_Anaba
on 12/9/12 4:05 am
RNY on 08/27/12

I was scared to death to have mine pulled out. I took 2 pain pills and made my husband hold my hand, lol. The doctor told me to take a deep breath and he pulled it out...it was over before I knew it. All I felt was a loss of breath for about 1/2 a second and all the pain was gone. All my worrying was in vain because there really was nothing to it. Good luck and I hope you can get them out sooner than Thurs.....it really suck carrying them around.

jmelyn1977
on 12/9/12 4:45 am
Thanks Annie!!!

I am definitely ready to get them out!! Hopefully tomorrow. They have less than 5cc's today - so I'd say its time.

Jamie