Bariatric surgery abroad

amjm
on 12/12/12 11:08 am

Hi, I am in the process of getting bariatric surgery. I was going through U of Chicago hospital but I found out that my insurance would not cover the procedure under any cir****tances and you had to pay 60k upfront in full at time of procedure. I now am looking at a place in Traverse City, MI where there cost is 30k and allow me (or rather my parents because I am a jobless student) to put it on a credit card.

However, I have heard that there are places abroad that do perform the procedure significantly less. I have also heard horror stories of people having the surgery abroad. If anyone has had an experiance in surgery abroad and can suggest it? Possibly in England or France, or somewhere that has very Americanized medicine. I of course will not compromise my health for cost but if I could do it less expensively that would be ideal, obviously.

Thanks!

pastorkerry
on 12/12/12 11:35 am - GA
RNY on 12/20/12
Surgery in the Atlanta area cost between 21000 and 26000. Many have gone to Mexico and had surgery with good success for less than 10000. There are forums on here for those who travel to different countries for you to get good information from.
Worrygirl
on 12/12/12 12:57 pm - IL

I live in IL and had my RNY @ silver cross hospital in New Lennox. I was self pay and had to pay upfront but entire thing was $20,000. 

RNY 8/21/12

amjm
on 12/12/12 1:25 pm

were you able to put that on a credit card? And was it laparascopic gastric bypass?

Thanks so much!

Worrygirl
on 12/13/12 1:14 am - IL

Yes, I used a credit card.  Actually used my card that gives 1% cash back on purchases, which doesn't seem like much but if you charge $20,000 I got $200 cash back......  It was laparoscopic.,  The center is called BMI; surgeons are  Dr Lahmann and Dr Joyce (both are present for all surgeries). I've had zero complications and they have a great program.  The fee covers all their expenses as well.

RNY 8/21/12

amjm
on 12/13/12 6:32 am

Wow, I live two hours away from there and had no idea it existed! Thank you so much, I'm looking into Silver Cross as we speak!

april89love
on 12/12/12 1:01 pm - NC

I went to Mexico and had a wonderful experience. Dr. Valencia taught at UCLA for two years doing this particular procedure. He is more than qualified. My pcp checked him out because he thought I had lost my mind. He was very happy with my choice afterwards knowing how qualified he is. He charges 12,000 and that includes your entire hospital stay. We stayed at a hotel nearby afterwards and he would come check on me. I also could call him at anytime if I had questions. Mexico is very different than here. Doctors are much more accessible. If you are interested, I have his email address and you can contact him directly. I had several complications and he was still able to do the surgery laprascopically. I was very blessed to find him.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

amjm
on 12/12/12 1:13 pm

Yes, that would be very appreciated! Did you find that most people at the hospital spoke english? And I assume you found the hospital to be clean and comfortable?

Thanks!

april89love
on 12/12/12 11:07 pm - NC

The nurses speak some english but there is a doctor on duty at all times who speaks excellent english. They are very attentive three nurses at all times for 10 patients. Talk about service!! And clean...that was the cleanest hospital I have ever been in. They clean constantly! The main halls are cleaned many times each day and when they clean your room, they really clean! I had no worries about infection there. Our hospitals are running over with infections. I will go there again if I need a scheduled surgery again. The OR is state of the art because he owns and maintains his own equipment. Nothing but the best for him.

[email protected]

He is a very nice man. You will like him. Also, the area that you will be staying in is a very pretty place. We really enjoyed it.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

LadyAnastacia
on 12/12/12 10:27 pm, edited 12/12/12 10:27 pm
RNY on 11/06/12

60,000!!! o.O

I just had Lap RNY as a self pay and it was $5,000 for the doctor and $14,193 for the hospital in Maryland.  Both took all major credit or debit cards.

Most Active