Date Set !! Nerves are setting in

Hello_Skinny
on 12/16/12 12:23 am
RNY on 01/09/13
Hi Everyone

I'm 25 yrs old 250lbs and have chosen to have gastric bypass surgery . As my surgery date gets closer my nerves and anxiety levels are off the charts. i was wondering if any of you could share some of your post op experience with me .

- How much pain were you in ?

- How well you tolerated your liquids ?

- 10 day post op diet ?

- Any helpful tips ?
Kenyatta W.
on 12/16/12 12:47 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 01/07/13
Hello Skinny,

I'm having the same feelings. My surgery date is January 7th. I'm having three surgeries in one....rny, gallbladder out, hernia removed. So I'm scared, nervous, and excited. I start my liquid diet on Christmas Eve which I'm sad about but I will make the best of it while my love chow down on Christmas dinner.

Good luck with your up coming surgery. Hopefully we can keep in touch. Add me as a friend.

Kenyatta
buggirl44
on 12/16/12 1:25 am

I am a Kaiser patient so their process is different.  I had to lose 10% of body weight prior to being scheduled for surgery which for me was 31 pds.  so hit that and scheduled surgery. 

I was scheduled due to a cancellation for Dec 3rd.  once date was set I was nervous. 

so I am 2 weeks tomorrow post op.  not really in any pain right now other than occasional pull of stitch area still (cannot stretch and reach far for things as I am afraid of pulling too much). 

I had liquid diet day before and was fine with that, and after.  I have a 2 week diet of cream soups, sf pudding, yogurt (dannon lit), sf popsicles.  I am tired of that kind of food and cannot wait for real food like a scrambled egg.  Have had 2 episodes of food envy (once when making sloppy joes for my family I broke down crying and the second last night).  I just want some food.  I believe it is common and part of the process I must go through (neither time was I really hungry!).

Take your pain meds and you should be fine.  I have had a fairly good experience with very few problems so I have zero regret so far.  down 18 lbs in 2 weeks is great also!

Dee.spunk
on 12/16/12 5:21 am - Sacramento, CA
I had almost no pain. And virtually no problems. I have absolutely no regrets! I'd do it again! My first three days was all liquid and the I went to the "cream of crap stage" which I hated! I can't stand any sort if cream soups. I was in that for two weeks before my soft food stage.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

vbaum
on 12/16/12 5:24 am

My date is set for revision on Dec 21st. I am nevous and excited. I know that you will be ok with the liquids I have been doing them off and on with my band for years. Everytime you get a fill you have to be on liquids for a couple of days. I am hearing with the bypass which is what I am getting now after he removes my band you are not hungry.  I wish you all well with your surgery. I know that your life is gonna be great!!!

Vickie

quiltpainter
on 12/17/12 10:46 am - CT

I'm just about 2 months out. I was surprised at how little pain I had. In the hospital (overnight) I was on the demerol pump and did use it. Once I got home I only had childrens tylenol the ones that disolve in your mouth I could have 2/hr. I didn't need even that much. I did feel like I had the flu the first two days I was home. The visiting nurse said it was probably due to lack of protein. Sure enough the next day I started on protein drink and started feeling better right away.  By day 5 I was working about 4 hours a day from home (computer work).  I hated the drainage tube that stayed in one week. I was tired and took a nap every day.

It was hard for me to drink all that was required. Sipping almost all the time...... very little nausea.

It seems every doctor has a different post op diet. Mine was protein shakes till 4 weeks out. Even now I only get 1 meal/day and that is 1 oz of protein. I can't wait to I don't need the protein drinks.  My stomach doesn't tolerate them too well. I have to keep switching brands.  Foods haven't been a problem at all, I've eaten eggs, ricotta,  cheese, chicken, shrimp, and vegi burgers. 

So far its been easier than I expected. I haven't been hungry hardly at all. I've tried to follow doctors orders pretty much to the letter.  I exercise 4-5 times a week. I've been loosing about 3 lbs/week and have been very happy with it and I feel good.

Good luck with your surgery.  When is the big day?

Hello_Skinny
on 12/18/12 4:19 am
RNY on 01/09/13

Thank you so much for your replies . I had my Pre op yesterday and I'm more excited than ever !! 

Most Active
Recent Topics