What's Next??

CoCoBrown313
on 12/16/12 7:22 am - MI
Hello Everyone.....just wondering if someone could help me out. My surgery has already been approved but I still don't have a surgery date because I still need to have my sleep study which if scheduled for January 17. My question is what happens if they say I have sleep apnea? My test is a split test. Half the night without the machine and half the night with the cpap machine if they think I have sleep apnea. I have already been fitted for a mask...just in case. How will being diagnosed with sleep apnea effect me finally being scheduled for my surgery?

Mrs_Stimpy
on 12/16/12 7:25 am
RNY on 12/20/12

It will probably help you, CoCo.  Sleep apnea is a good reason to have weight loss surgery.  I have a CPAP and diabetes, and, although my BMI isn't really high, I was able to have my RNY surgery approved by my insurance company.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

CoCoBrown313
on 12/16/12 7:31 am - MI
Mrs. Stimpy
I have already been approved. They won't schedule me until they get the results to my sleep test.
Mrs_Stimpy
on 12/16/12 7:45 am
RNY on 12/20/12

I'm sorry, CoCo.  I guess I missed that.  You'll bring your CPAP to the hospital when you have your surgery.  They'll have you use it while you're there.  At some point after the surgery after you've lost weight, you'll probably be able to get rid of the CPAP.  Don't worry about the machine - you'll feel waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy more rested and good when you finally get it.  I don't even take a nap without mine now!  I imagine they're waiting for the sleep study so that if you need the CPAP in the hospital you'll have it already.

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

Misty Morgan
on 12/16/12 7:50 am - Goshen , OH
RNY on 04/24/13
I actually left the sleep clinic with my cpap. And the pulmonary doctor just had to write a clearance letter to my surgeon. It all was taken care of within a week of the sleep study. It will barely impact you but you will need to take your cpap to the hospital with you. Good luck!

anna9905
on 12/16/12 7:50 am - GA

I had my sleep study prior to sending for a pre-approval.  My surgeon told me to bring my CPAP machine to the hospital due to anesthesia and sleeping so much that afternoon.  Our respiratory system is suppressed from the medication anyway that I guess they just want to make sure that Sleep Apnea is not a problem too.  And if it is, they can take the proper precautions. I think sleep study is routine for most surgeons if you haven't had one done before.  I had mine done in August this year...then sent for PRE-approval.  Once I completed all requested requirements and tests, I received my final approval in November and my surgery is scheduled for Dec. 28th.  Good Luck on yours!    

CoCoBrown313
on 12/16/12 7:56 am - MI
Thanks Everyone!! Just happy to know that if won't prolong being scheduled for surgery. I'm sooo ready to begin my new journey. My birthday is in February and I will be 40. This surgery will be the best 40th birthday present ever!!!
Sherry T.
on 12/16/12 8:23 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12
Awww, how wonderful! Good Luck! I turned 45 and I was ready to take my life back and I have....still have a ways to go but life is so much better and happier!!
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/16/12 10:40 am

You will be bringing a CPAP machine with you when you have your WLS.  this is one of the  precautions they do that make the surgery safer and so we have less complications. 

Winnie

thynnlynn
on 12/17/12 2:59 am - MI

I have had a BiPap for years and was told to bring it with me to the hospital.  My surgery date from band to RNY is 1/4.  My pre-op is 12/26 and cannot wait to meet with the nutritionist and see what her plan is for me.  I am sure that when I drop the weight, the BiPap will go by the wayside as mine is all obstructive.

Blessings!

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13