surgery is this week and OF COURSE I am now sick.

Amanda M.
on 12/16/12 1:17 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Ahhhhhhhhhh! I woke up today with a pounding headache, scratchy and sore throat, chest pain and cough. I bought some emergen-c to help, but that is probably wishful thinking....I am drinking a ton of fluids and trying to rest. But now tonight, I feel like death warmed up.

If my surgery has to be rescheduled, I dont know if I will be able to do it. I wont have the help I need with my kids and one of them has autism, so there is a definite need for help! Ugh...I feel like giving up!

scarlettbegonias
on 12/16/12 1:52 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

Fingers crossed its a 24 hour thing and clears up quickly!!

if not best you can do is ring the surgeon and see what he says.

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/12 5:14 pm

Nooooo!  When is the surgery? gargle with warm sal****er and slam the vitamin C. You may want to call the doctor.  Any fever?  I haven't been sick in years and right now I have the same damn thing.  Amanda, I would leave this up to the surgeon. He may say it's ok and he may say no, I just don't know.  Please keep us posted.  Take care of yourself.  Jane

(deactivated member)
on 12/16/12 5:31 pm

Ok, saw when your surgery is scheduled.  See how it goes.  I would hate to see you have to reschedule, but if you have to, so be it. Will be hoping for the best.  Jane

Kat Kat
on 12/16/12 6:48 pm - AZ

Hi Amanda,

You'll probably be okay for surgery. Fever usually accompanies the initial symptoms of a cold or flu. As long as you don't have one, a lot of docs will continue as planned. In the meantime, drink lots of fluids and get plenty of rest.

Kat

Laura in Texas
on 12/16/12 10:15 pm

Do you have a fever? Get some rest and I hope you feel better soon. I had a cold when I had my RNY and when I had plastics (but did not have a fever). I had both surgeries with no problems. Good luck!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Amanda M.
on 12/17/12 1:35 am
RNY on 01/18/13
No fever at all. But I think it is bronchitis or strep, and I never get a fever with either of those. I plan on calling my surgeons office to ask about it, but I dont know if I should give it a couple more days or call now. My surgery is on friday. Right now my voice is squeaking and I have a hard time talking. I am scared that will scare them more than anything.

ebtiger24
on 12/17/12 2:20 am - AL
RNY on 12/13/12 with
On December 17, 2012 at 9:35 AM Pacific Time, Amanda M. wrote:
No fever at all. But I think it is bronchitis or strep, and I never get a fever with either of those. I plan on calling my surgeons office to ask about it, but I dont know if I should give it a couple more days or call now. My surgery is on friday. Right now my voice is squeaking and I have a hard time talking. I am scared that will scare them more than anything.

Same thing happened to me last week. I had a head cold. They did a chest x-ray as part of the pre-op. My doctor said as long as my fever stayed under 101 it should be fine. He said in the OR they would give me something that would dry up all the drainage. 

I got a little bit better but I was still sick the day of the surgery. Went off without a hitch. 

I wish you luck. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 264 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 277 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 277 views