How long before you can eat out at a restaurant?

countrygirljess
on 12/15/12 11:01 am

I order off the kids menu and take home over half of it usually! I only order moist foods and like everyone else, I ask how it's prepared and make sure I really CHEW! Sometimes when we are in that environment we are distracted, but I make a point of paying attention and putting my fork down between every bite! AND since they bring my water out before I start to eat, I am sure NOT to drinK!! 

Jessica

buggirl44
on 12/16/12 1:42 am

this is great info. I am two weeks out tomorrow and will start adding soft regular food into my diet. 

I am sure I will be eating out all the time but need to pick the right food and eat the right portion.

Did spicy food (like the buffalo sauce or marinara sauce) hurt anyone the first 2 months?

pattyjonichols
on 12/16/12 3:56 am

Oh I learned the hard way to keep away from anything spicy for a long while.   Three weeks out I decided I'd try skipping ahead on my Stages of Eating...I tried to jump to Stage 4 (sauces ****tail sauce on shrimp to be exact.).   I thought my pouch was going to burst...oh did it hurt and hurt.   Dr. said drink water and flu**** out.  So I won't try anything spicy.   Dr. said remember you just had MAJOR changes to your organs (ie Stomach and Small Intestines) and it won't do you any good to skip the food steps...you'll upset the healing process.    So I'm going to wait at least until February before I ever think of trying again.    I can't believe you are only two weeks out and they are letting you eat soft regular food.   Mine was much more conservative and the hospital I went to has a 99% rating for great recoveries.

Mine is:

Surgery day and the day after:  Clear Liquids only

Next two weeks:  FULL liquids only.  Diluded juices, sugar free popsicle, protein drinks

Next two weeks:  Pureed Foods  (ie Mashed potatoes, applesauce, yogurt anything without seeds or lumps

Next two weeks:  Soft Food (Eggs, Cottege Cheese, anything from above too (No rice, pasta or bread as it may clog the stomach passages.)

From then on:  Regular diet (not the old stuff I ate before) Protein, vegetables

Good luck and watch that hot stuff.

Sara O.
on 12/16/12 5:41 am - NC
RNY on 03/12/12

My first meal at a restaurant postop was probably around 4-5 weeks postop. I recommend a cup of soup, just nothing thick. Keep it simple, like chicken noodle. Have chili if they offer it. Side dishes like green beans(or other veggie) are also a good choice if you don't want soup.

I'm 9 months postop and eat out with my family regularly. I am just very choosey about the place and the menu. A lot of the time I share a meal with one of my parents. They're very supportive and more than happy to order grilled chicken instead of something fried. Try sharing a healthy meal with your husband. You'll spend less and waste less food.

Most Active
Recent Topics