How long before you can eat out at a restaurant?

pattyjonichols
on 12/15/12 5:46 am

OMG!  I tried eating with my husband today at a restaurant.  I only ordered things I thought would work (ie Mashed Pot) I had about 4-6 iz all together.....I am sooooo sick.   No I haven't thrown up but I feel so close and my stomach is cramping.   Out of surgery now about 4 weeks.   Is this too soon.  OR will I never be able to eat in a restaurant again?   Seasoned veterans at this please let me know what you think.

PJ

Michigan

Patty Jo Nichols

a/k/a  PJ

Heidi L.
on 12/15/12 5:51 am - San Jose, CA
Since I was out of state I had no choice and ate out one day #1. You should either ask for a box with your meal or an extra plate so that you can get rid of the excess food. Don't forget to carry your 1/4c. measuring cup with you so you know exactly how much you are eating!

I actually prefer eating out because then I am not snacking while I cook.

Pre-op  260.8#...Surgery 242#...Current 190#...Lowest 166#...Goal 155.8#

Dave Chambers
on 12/15/12 6:11 am - Mira Loma, CA

Eating at restuarants is a touchy issue for new post ops. UNLESS you ask several questions about your choice of meal: it may be cooked in fat or butter, you may have issues with seasonings, etc. etc.  Best to try new foods at home and know how you prepare them--and ask for the same preparation of these foods in a restuarant. DAVE

Dave Chambers, 6'3" tall, 365 before RNY, 185 low, 200 currently. My profile page: product reviews, tips for your journey, hi protein snacks, hi potency delicious green tea, and personal web site.
                          Dave150OHcard_small_small.jpg 235x140card image by ragdolldude

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 12/15/12 6:20 am

You will be able to eat out at restaurants again,  I promise.  Early after surgery I would get something I knew I could handle and could control how it was made.  Baked fish,  broth soup,  cottage cheese,  fruit and yogurt

Winnie

Kat Kat
on 12/15/12 6:32 am - AZ

I eat in restaurants often, so in time it will happen again for you. You need to plan ahead, by looking at menus online, and try out foods at home first to make sure they agree, and in what amounts you will be comfortable with them. You just had your insides cut and re-routed. Try to be patient, and give your poor, sore belly a break for goodness sake. Is really that important to eat out right now?

Kat

poet_kelly
on 12/15/12 6:45 am - OH

Well, it depends on what you order.  I ate at a restaurant at one week post op.  It was a birthday dinner for a family member and the whole family was going and I went too.  I order a side of mashed potatoes and ate about three bites. 

Four to six ounces would have been too much for me to eat at four weeks post op.  Also, some restaurant food has lots of fat and sugar in it, so it's good to check the nutritional info before ordering.

These days (four years out) I eat in restaurants all the time.  I can find suitable things to order almost anywhere.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Bcast4
on 12/15/12 7:14 am

I haven't had my bypass yet, but my husband has and we eat out fairly often. 

karenp8
on 12/15/12 7:44 am - Brighton, IL

I eat out frequently but plan carefully. I usually order grillEd chicken or broiled fish and ask for no extra oil to be used. I ask the waitress to bring a box with my food and measure what I will eat and box the rest right away. I  you ate too much - I am just now barely able to eat about 5 ounces of food and I am nearly 4 Months out. I enjoy eating out and ththe food always seems to taste better!

anewbeginning2012
on 12/15/12 8:48 am - IN
RNY on 10/01/12

I am 2 1/2 months out now and could probably eat 4 oz. just at this point. I think you probably over ate. Just remember- even an 1 "extra" bite after you feel the satisfied sensation can put you over - where you will feel sick. I have done this as we all probably have had a little too much and suffered from it. It's a live and learn type thing. I am able to eat out- but I chose foods I can take home or just get some cottage cheese.

Kris        
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/15/12 10:21 am - OH

Of course you will be able to eat at restaurants again!  Do you really think so many people would have this surgery if they could never eat out again?!? I ate out at less than 2 weeks post-op.  I had some baked chicken with buffalo sauce,  Only  about three bites, of course, but still...

The mashed potatoes may have had some cream in them, which might be too much fat.  I made that mistake at about 2 months out.  You really have to stick to basic food items at first and MUST ask how things are prepared.  Baked, moist fish (no butter) or soups (but make sure cream soups dont have actual cream in them!) are good "early out" options.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active