Constipation

Feesttwin
on 12/22/12 9:02 am

I have read a lot of post re constipation and it seems like miralax is the most commonly prescribed med.  my surgeon told me to take milk of magnesia....I have and still have not went for a week.  I have taken the max dose the last to days and nothing.  Any suggestions?  I will be calling my surgeon Monday.  Surg date Dec 3

poet_kelly
on 12/22/12 9:20 am - OH

Dulcolax suppository.  Miralax is good for preventing constipation but not as good for fixing it if it's already bad.  The Dulcolax suppositories, on the other hand, will work in less than an hour.  I haven't had to use one in quite a while, but that's what I do when I'm desperate.  I use Miralax on a daily basis to prevent problems, though, and most of the time it does.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

redambruster
on 12/22/12 9:21 am - lebanon, TN
Buy some gloves and help it along if you catch my drift. Sounds gross but if your impacted that's what a nurse or doc would do. And continue the stool softners. Try getting extra fluids in to
angeleigh
on 12/22/12 9:46 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I was told to take 2 stool softeners a day. Or some form of stool softener every day. Just make it part of your vitamins. I buy the walmart brand and I take 2 at night before bed. That way I use the bathroom first thing in the morning.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Feesttwin
on 12/22/12 10:21 am

Thank you all!  

Mary Catherine
on 12/22/12 12:00 pm

You can also use an enema

thynnlynn
on 12/22/12 1:38 pm - MI

I take some pretty heavy pain meds for other problems and they cause constipation.  I have discovered that taking MoM every other day helps me to keep everything moving and I plan to keep this up after surgery, as well.  I ended up impacted after a knee replacement and NEVER want to go there again in this lifetime!!!

Blessings!

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

(deactivated member)
on 12/23/12 5:20 am

I dealt with this problem and still continue to do so. I tried taking the liquid stool softener that they prescribed to me but I couldn't't do it very well. It burnt my throat so bad and I tried to mix it with water and milk and it was horrible. I asked my bariatric nurse if I could take a pill and she said yes so I went and got Dulcolax and that worked good. Kind of expensive but the pills where smaller and I wanted a good brand. After those ran out I bought just an off brand that were small pills as well and they work just as good. I take 2 a day. Sometimes I miss them but I can really tell the diff when I do that so I try to take them everyday. I hope one day I won't have to take them anymore. I hope this helps. I think the important thing to remember is you want a stool softener not a laxative. Hope this helps.

P.S. I think I went 5 or 6 days before I went and it was horrible to go and get the stool softeners now or you will have to do an inima and that isn't fun.

DangerGirl
on 12/23/12 11:11 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 08/17/12

I'm 4 months post op and had a real problem with Constipation.  I have milk of mag that my surgeon prescribed but also started adding a scoop of ground flax seed in with my morning protein shake.  

It seems to get everything moving quite regularly and feels to be a more natural solution.  I get it at Home Sense or Winners here in Canada but you can probably find it at any health food store.  Be sure to get ground flax seed and not whole seeds.

thynnlynn
on 12/24/12 3:08 am - MI

Another thing that might help are chia seeds mixed with water.  They turn quickly into a gel that you drink and then into a semisolid which helps keep things moving along.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Most Active
Recent Topics