Does our calcium have to be a chewy bite?

Amanda M.
on 1/1/13 1:46 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
I know it has to be citrate. I know we need it separated from iron. But does it have to be a chewy bite kind? I have noticed a lot of people use calcium chews, but is there a reason? Are the pills too big?

Thanks for any guidance!

wmamey
on 1/1/13 1:50 pm
RNY on 06/18/12
On January 1, 2013 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, Amanda M. wrote:
I know it has to be citrate. I know we need it separated from iron. But does it have to be a chewy bite kind? I have noticed a lot of people use calcium chews, but is there a reason? Are the pills too big?

Thanks for any guidance!
I use them because it is my reference. I also have calcium citrate in pill form with magnesium, and vitamin D but I don't use them that often. I consider my calcium chews (chocolate, lemon , rasberry, and carmel) as a treat!

Kat Kat
on 1/1/13 2:00 pm, edited 1/1/13 2:01 pm - AZ

No, they just have to be Calcium Citrate and at least 500 mg taken 3 times a day to total 1500 mg a day. These can be chewy bites, chewable tablets, pills and powders. It's up to your personal preference.

Kat

Amanda M.
on 1/1/13 2:05 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/13 2:08 pm

I just asked my bariatric nurse this yesterday and she said they like you to be on the chewable calcium and multivitamins for the first 3 months. After that you can start taking pills instead. I don't remember why though. Probably something with absorption or something like that.

Kat Kat
on 1/1/13 2:24 pm - AZ

The chewable form doesn't make a difference in absorption. She may think it would be easier for you to digest rather than a pill at first. I got off chewable vitamins and supplements a month post op. I still take chewable calcium, but only because I really love them.

Kat

missmomof4
on 1/1/13 2:15 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
Calcium pills are very large, even split in half I have trouble getting them down. I really recommend chewables for at least the first few months.

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Amanda M.
on 1/1/13 2:19 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
I was thinking the size could be problematic. Does anyone know if stores sell chewable calcium? My local walmart only has pills and my local GNC is useless. I would like to avoid buying online if possible.

poet_kelly
on 1/1/13 2:28 pm - OH

Most stores sell chewable calcium carbonate, but we can't absorb that.  Most stores do not sell chewable calcium citrate, although you might find it at Vitamin Shoppe or other health food stores.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Amanda M.
on 1/1/13 2:34 pm
RNY on 01/18/13
That is definitely what I am seeing. Everything is carbonate, and I know we need citrate. My surgeon doesnt have me starting calcium until after my one month appointment. Do you think the petites would be okay at that point?

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 268 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 280 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 279 views