How Soon Can I Get Back to Work?

gek9742000
on 1/1/13 5:29 am
RNY on 10/29/12

I was off a full two weeks.  I was so tired those first two weeks - I would have fallen asleep at my desk had I returned sooner.

250 day of surgery 
150 current weight
135 goal weight

Sherrie P.
on 1/1/13 5:41 am
RNY on 02/06/13

Thursday to Monday? Then to a teaching job? 

Will you get in more trouble by planning time off or by having to call in sick?

Revision Lapband to RNY 2-6-2013   HW: 286  Pre-Op Diet: 277  Surgery Day: 265  Goal: 155  CW: 155

Plastic surgery 8/28/2014: Brachioplasty, mastopexy, & abdominoplasty.

Plastic surgery 1/27/2015: Butt Lift

Fr33P4m
on 1/1/13 6:30 am
RNY on 12/04/12 with

Surgery on Dec. 4th, back to work 2 weeks later on the 18th. But on "light duty" with instructions no heavy lifting and no strenuous activities. I needed to sit at my desk a bunch more than I am use to. I work 10 hour days, and I have rarely been as tired as I was that week every night getting home from work. 

BezoarGirl
on 1/1/13 7:01 am - WA

I took off 6 weeks and had STD at 80% of my pay.  I am glad I took the time off.

RNY 8/29/12       5' 9" tall

wendydettmer
on 1/1/13 7:49 am - Rochester, NY

I was out about 2.5 weeks.  I had some minor issues during surgery that took a lot longer to finish and i was in a lot of pain.  No way could i have gone back to work so soon.  I could barely walk that soon.  What grade do you teach?  Even if you can sit a lot, the younger kids take a lot of energy and I don't feel it is in their best interest either to have a teacher who isn't ready to be there.  Take the time to take care of yourself.  

Follow my vegan transition at www.bariatricvegan.com
HW:288    CW:146.4   GW: 140    RNY: 12/22/11  

Mal
on 1/1/13 3:20 pm

No way.  A week!  Seriously?  Do you know what they do to your body?  There is no way I could have gone back to work that soon.  My recovery was what I consider normal and I couldn't take care of myself at all for the first week and I'm a very independent person.  At the time of my surgery (4/2010) my children were all in my custody during the week and had weekend sleepover visitation with their father every weekend.  They are all young and there are five of them.  I can't imagine being able to control a large classroom of children (elementary school age) when I couldn't even get out of bed by myself for the first TWO weeks.  My (at the time) boyfriend was supportive and took off his two week vacation during that time and took care of all of us.  I had no energy ****il 6 weeks postop when it slowly starting coming back) was losing weight rapidly, a hormonal/emotional mess, learning how to eat again, and trying to figure out the whole protien/water/walking business.  And I had a LOT of pain.  I found the surgical procedure to be worse than my childbirth experiences (and they were both c-sections). 

You are definitely pushing the envelope here on this one.  Does your surgeon know what your plans to return to work are?  Do they agree with that?  I wasn't cleared to drive until after 4 weeks (at least) and I don't think I could have then either.  I had staples on the 5 incisions that had to come out and they weren't removed until the 2 week visit at the surgeon's office. 

If it were me, I would put your surgery date off until the summer break.  There's no way you can be effective at your job (whatever it is) should there be a complication (they do happen), and what do you do when a kid falls down during recess (or in your care in the classroom) and you can't help them because of your recent surgery and the no lifting rule?

Just my opinion.  Good luck in whatever you decide.

M'Lane

robin1103
on 1/1/13 11:45 pm - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

I went back to work after 3 weeks and it was too soon.  I had trouble staying focused and was exhausted.  I'm 7 weeks out now and barely feel normal..

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Miss_CC84
on 1/4/13 1:05 pm - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

I appreciate everyone's feedback, at least now  I know that most likely returning so soon is very unrealistic, however I will try and go back as soon as possible.

As long as I do not miss two weeks straight I will not lose my LTO. ( long term contract) Even if  I go back a day, then miss a few more, then go again, I am ok. If it wasn't my first year teaching, and I was a permanent employee, then this issue would not even be up for discussion, I would without a doubt take 2-3 weeks off.

As for my commute, I am only a 2 min drive from work, less than a mile. I was never told that I would not be able to drive, so this is news to me. I am also fully aware of the strict regiment of vitamins, water, protein, etc that I will have to follow on a daily basis. I have been waiting since 2010 for this surgery, I am very informed and ready for all of changes and challenges. Because it has been a 3 year wait, I am not willing to put it off until summer. In Canada, because the surgery is covered, it is a very long waiting list, I can't risk being bumped back to the bottom again. 

Again, thank you to everybody *****plied, and I do welcome that rare person who did go back after a week to message me and share their experience.

noftessa0401
on 1/4/13 2:34 pm - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12
I reported above that I was planning to go to work on 1/3 after surgery on 12/27. I did, and it was fine. I was actually a lot less tired than I thought I would be. I find that if I sit around I am more tired than if I was moving. Now, I am tired and moving slow, but yesterday and today were easy (compared to what I was expecting). I think your plan of 2 weeks minus a day, work a day, and then off again if you need it should be fine. You might be surprised and only need a week off like me. Good luck!

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

GraceGirl
on 1/4/13 1:34 pm

If you are on pain meds they will tell you no driving period. I had ZERO complications or pain, but let me tell you your body will be TIRED. I was one of the lucky ones with explosive diarrhea for about 4-5 days post op.....It was not fun and try to make it to the bathroom um ya. lol

Can you schedule surgery for your next break? then you'd only need to take an extra day or so?

I hate to say it but you are risking your health by going to work so soon. How long do they expect you to be in the hospital for? I had mine on a Thursday I got released on Saturday afternoon, that gives you 2 nights at home the back to work.

Good luck whatever you choose.

"If you're interested in achieving success, you'll do what's convenient. When you are committed to success, you'll do whatever it takes."

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 51 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 258 views