How Soon Can I Get Back to Work?

Miss_CC84
on 1/1/13 1:31 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

Hi there,

I have a question that I would like everyone to reply too. I would like to know how long it was before you all went back to work after surgery? I have surgery January 17th, 2013 which falls on a Thursday and I plan on going back to work that following Monday. I am elementary school teacher, and I just got this new full time position January 7th, 2013. I do not want to miss out on this opportunity and my sick days are limited, so am I striving for the impossible here??? Has anyone else felt well enough to go back to week only a few days after surgery? I mean I don't have any heavy lifting involved, just on my feet a lot, but even then I can explain to students that I need to sit and for them to take it easy on me haha.

Your feedback is  greatly appreciated.

MrsLitch
on 1/1/13 3:11 am - Morris, IL
RNY on 06/04/12

I went back at one week and wished I had taken 2. I would not have been able to go back to work that soon however, everyone recovers differently and unfortunately you won't know until you are in that position.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

5' 3" - HW: 244 SW:234  GW:120 LW: 107 CW:110 Made goal 3/16/13!    

happygrandma
on 1/1/13 3:13 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I had my surgery on 12/17 and I'm planning to go back tomorrow, but probably only part of the day.  Your picture shows that you are quite a bit younger than me but I still think that's pushing it.  I was a little foggy, unable to concentrate for the first two weeks.  I was so looking forward to some reading time but did none until this last weekend.  They say the anesthetic stays in your system for 2-3 weeks,  Do you have a teaching assistant?  I would take at least one week off.

jamiebrain
on 1/1/13 4:08 am - Epping, NH
RNY on 08/14/12

I was fortunate and got short term disability, allowing me to stay out for 5 weeks.  To be honest, I could have used another week more.  But I have a very long commute everyday, and that was part of what took a lot out of me.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

jamiebrain on myfitnesspal.  :)  look me up.  :) :)

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 1/1/13 4:10 am

I took 5 weeks off.  I could have gone back sooner probably because I have a desk job.  But I will say it was nice getting through the eating stages before returning.  I also had an allergic reaction to my pain killer they sent me home on so I spent week two itching,  taking benedryl and sleeping.

Winnie

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/13 4:39 am

Really??? Have you also planned on the fact that you might have problems afterwards or just plain pain and fatigue?  I feel you are pushing the envelope.  There is so much you need to plan as far as food, vitamins and constant drinking, protein shakes.  Some people do go back, but I cannot imagine doing this.  You will just have had major surgery and standing on your feet you may find you cannot stand straight after surgery.  I wish you luck, but please keep all factors in mind.  No one plans on complications but it happens.  What happens if you have diarrhea major right after surgery?  Ask some people on here that didn't even make it to the bathroom.  Again, good luck.  Jane

noftessa0401
on 1/1/13 4:51 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12
I had surgery 12/27, got discharged from the hospital on 12/30, and am going back to work 1/3. I could probably have gone back yesterday, but I also work less than 2 miles from home, work in a pretty casual environment, and sit at a desk all day. And I can leave whenever I want. I think Monday for you could be pushing it.

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

LadyAnastacia
on 1/1/13 5:10 am
RNY on 11/06/12

My doctor requires two weeks off and I went back after 3 weeks.  It takes a bit to get your strength back and get into a routine with vitamins.  Also, I had great energy at 1 week post-op, but felt much weaker at 2 weeks.  I rested and drank more and felt better at 3 weeks, so the way you feel can fluctuate.

AlyAbout2BaBride
on 1/1/13 5:15 am
RNY on 01/14/13

My surgery is set for the 14th and I was hoping for one week off but put in for two just in case.  My problem is my 1.5-2 hour each way commute... I hear driving is very uncomfortable for awhile....  I hear ya with wanting to get back though also...

Aly

Linda K.
on 1/1/13 5:15 am
RNY on 08/01/12

I work in elementary school.  I would tell you to put it off till summer vacation.  You are starting a new job which will bring stress with it.  Observations by principal, and students that don't know you.  If you do it during the summer you don't have to worry about recovery, taking time off.  You get to pace yourself.

lyn

lyn

Most Active