Surgery cancelled 45 min. prior to surgery...I need advice

megs617
on 1/8/13 1:00 am

Today was my surgery date.   I got to the hospital, got to pre-op, put on the gown, ready to go and the nurse came in and said they canceled my surgery due to lack of beds.  I really, really had to psycho myself up for this surgery...To even take the first step to call the surgeon...I got within 45 minutes of surgery to have it canceled??  Is that a sign I shouldn't do this at all?  I am so raw with emotion.  I don't know how to feel or what to do.  Help me....like all of you, this journey was so difficult, and to get to this point and not have it happen?  I am lost.

poet_kelly
on 1/8/13 1:05 am - OH
On January 8, 2013 at 9:00 AM Pacific Time, megs617 wrote:

Today was my surgery date.   I got to the hospital, got to pre-op, put on the gown, ready to go and the nurse came in and said they canceled my surgery due to lack of beds.  I really, really had to psycho myself up for this surgery...To even take the first step to call the surgeon...I got within 45 minutes of surgery to have it canceled??  Is that a sign I shouldn't do this at all?  I am so raw with emotion.  I don't know how to feel or what to do.  Help me....like all of you, this journey was so difficult, and to get to this point and not have it happen?  I am lost.

No, it isn't a sign that you shouldn't have surgery.  It's a sign that a larger number of people than expected got seriously ill or injured and had to be admitted to the hospital, taking up beds that were going to be used for WLS patients.  If someone is in a car accident or has a heart attack or something and goes to the ER, the hospital can't turn them away because someone is scheduled to have WLS later that day.

I can only imagine how upsetting that was for you.  It would be very disappointing and frustrating.  But all it means is that the hospital is treating seriously ill and injured patients right now.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

robin1103
on 1/8/13 1:08 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

The hospitals are flooded with people down with the flu.  I am so sorry-- it takes us so long to get to that date and then to have that happen.  As much as it sucks, try to stay positive. 

I'm sure your surgeon isn't happy either!!  He has a set schedule that is established months in advance.

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Lori F.
on 1/8/13 1:08 am - St. Clair Shores, MI
RNY on 12/27/12

Im so sorry your surgery got cancelled, but I would NOT take it as a sign that you shouldn't have it done.  

Follow me @ www.bariatrickitchen.com  My Progress, Recipes and Things I learn along the way
HW: 375   ​SW: 342  GW:  140  HT: 5'7"  

madeformore
on 1/8/13 1:10 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

I'm so sorry that happened to you. I wouldn't consider it a sign either. When are they able to get you in for your surgery? I hope soon, since you've probably prepped with a liquid diet and such!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

thynnlynn
on 1/8/13 1:21 am - MI

In October I had a surgery cancelled just as I was ready to leave for the hospital for another reason.  Then I was schedule for a RnY on 1/4 and at pre-op on 12/26 found an issue with my lab work and that got cancelled until I can get my thyroid back up to where it needs to be.  I know how disappointing this can be.  I am using my time to do more reading and watching YT videos on WLS.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

Joyceebaby
on 1/8/13 2:06 am
RNY on 11/29/12

I'm so sorry!  That must have been a crushing disappointment!!!  I agree with the others that I don't think it's a sign.  I hope you can get rescheduled soon.  

Lisa T.
on 1/8/13 2:42 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

Stay strong Megs!  This is not a sign, rather a temporary road bump. 

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

megs617
on 1/8/13 8:07 am

A "temporary road bump"...I like it! lol

Amanda M.
on 1/8/13 3:24 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I was scheduled for Dec 21. I had to cancel 2 days prior because I had the flu and was horribly ill with a high fever. I also told myself at the time that it was a sign I shouldnt reschedule. There are a ton of emotions before surgery. You are excited, then nervous, then excited again, then impatient, and as it gets closer you get scared out of your mind, then excited, then calm.....rinse and repeat, you know? So when you battle all of that and battle through the pre op diet, you arent prepared for a last minute whammy. It seems like too much to take. I asked myself if I could handle it. I posted on here that I didnt think I could do the pre op liquid diet again. I knew that wasnt my real point of hesitation. I was scared to be scared again. To start that emotional rollercoaster again. And it did cause anxiety for me. But guess what? I am sitting here drinking a protein shake on the first day of my 10 day pre op diet. I thought about all the times I have been uncomfortable in my own body, the embarrassment if I ever saw myself on camera, how I have only a handful of pictures of myself with my kids, all the times I have been publicly humiliated when someone asked how far along I was or mooed at me, the physical pain of walking through a store, the guilt after I overate. And then I pictured myself shopping for clothes that fit and that I actually like, running with my children, taking family photos, not sweating from folding laundry, feeling normal, and the list goes on and on! I decided that I am worth it! There could be bigger bumps in the road after surgery, and I wasnt going to let an extra months wait do me in! You can do this. And you will do this. Because you are worth it, too!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 449 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 405 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 337 views