8 days post-op, super discouraged

Karen1961
on 1/8/13 2:20 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Surgery was last week and I've been following the diet directions like a prescription!  Drinking about 55-60 ounces of water and drinking protein.  Had half a scrambled egg yesterday and it was amazing!  So for some crazy reason I got on the scale today.  Haven't lost an ounce.  Also am pretty constipated.  Help!!!  Is this normal?

robin1103
on 1/8/13 2:23 am - MD
RNY on 11/13/12

It's from the constipation.  You need to take something to help you and you will see the scale move!!  Don't get discouraged because you will have times when the scale doesn't move.  Make sure you measure yourself so that can the difference in inches...that helps me from getting frustrated.

Good luck!!

SW 238 CW 189 GW 135

Karen1961
on 1/8/13 5:21 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Thanks so much!  You know, I knew it was a bad idea to get on the scale.....lol!  Thanks.  Tape measure will be bought and I think that'1  what I'll go with!

Lisa T.
on 1/8/13 2:35 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

I like Miralax for constipation.  It is mild and is easily mixed into a morning cup of herbal tea or decaf coffee.  If that doesn't provide relief my PA suggested a dose of Milk of Magnesia, but I will warn you - stay close the the ladies lounge.   Hang in there....as the above poster mentioned there will be times when you lose a significant amount and other times when you stay the same or gain a little.  May I ask how much are you moving/exercising? 

Height 4'11"  HW:  235  SW:  230  GW:  130   RNY 6/7/12   

Karen1961
on 1/8/13 5:24 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Headed off during lunch and bought miralax and dulcolax!  Thanks!  You know, I probably am not moving like I should.  I walk abit..., maybe 10 minutes?  I had surgery 8 days ago, and an emergency called me back to work yesterday.  It took all I had to make it through work so I put alking on the back burner.  How much is a good amount of walking, do you think, for someone jus over a week out?  I tend to be an all or nothing type girl in the past, so I was either sweating until I wanted to puke, or eating in front of the TV.  I'm trying to make some brain changes these days, but I have no idea how to gently ease into something!

Lisa T.
on 1/8/13 5:41 am - Indianapolis, IN
RNY on 06/07/12

I hope it provides relief soon.  Between 1-2 weeks post op my goal was to walk a total of 30 minutes per day at a pace that was challenging but not exhausting.  I would do 3, 10 minute walks.  Then as I got stronger I worked my up to doing the entire 30 minutes at one time.  I appreciate your all or nothing attitude as I used to be that way myself.  I remember at my referral appointment my PCP said, "you have to find the fun and joy in exercising again and stop seeing it as a chore."  That advice went a long way as I gave myself permission to try a little at a time and ease back into it.  I also moved it up to the front burner instead of something I would do if I had the time.  Work emergencies aside I am excited for you.  This is an opportunity to give yourself a fantastic gift of health and wellness!  As Dory says - just keep swimming! 

manda2108
on 1/8/13 2:37 am

You probably gained a good number of lbs from the IV fluids and swelling due to surgery. There are posts like this one daily on this forum..the best thing to do is to follow your surgeons instructions and stay off of the scale for a few weeks. You WILL lose as long as you follow your guidelines. Don't stress about the scale right now, just let your body heal! Good luck.

Karen1961
on 1/8/13 5:25 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

Thanks!  I forgot about the 44 gallons of fluids I got in the hospital!  Thanks!

happygrandma
on 1/8/13 6:07 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

I was so frustrated when I got home from the hospital - I was up 13 pounds from the fluids.  I'm at 3 weeks now and it's starting to drop off and I'm down one pants size.  Be patient.

madeformore
on 1/8/13 2:49 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

If you are like most plans, you probably had a liquid diet the few weeks prior where you lost a chunk too. Your body needs time to catch up and also to heal. Keep following the plan and it WILL start showing on the scale. I understand how frustrating it can be - many of us have been there too. Good luck!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see