very bad dandruff??

alwayswith0uty0u
on 1/8/13 12:25 pm - PA

hi im about 17 months out and i have been suffering from really bad dandruff. it started around 8 months out and has just been getting worse. i have read up on it and they say that it can be caused by diet but because of my surgery theres really no way to change my eating habits. does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you deal with it? ive tried the dandruff shampoos and changing my other shampoo and conditioners but its not helping..

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/8/13 12:53 pm
I have seborreic dematitis, which looks a bit like dandruff. A trip to the dermatologist netted me a diagnosis. Dandruff shampoo does not work on it for me, so I use a prescription cleanser.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Jen V.
on 1/8/13 12:54 pm - Waterford Township, MI
RNY on 06/29/12

Are you sure it is dandruff and not dry scalp? If it is just dry flaking, it is not real dandruff. Dandruff is an infection and you should see a dermatologist. If it is just dry scalp, try using olive oil on your scalp. Put it on and cover your head with a shower cap for about 15 minutes then wash and condition as normal. Avoid blow drying. 

BugdocMom
on 1/8/13 2:55 pm - CA

My first thought was also dry scalp. I have found my scalp and skin get really flaky when I am eating a very low fat diet. I have added a couple of sachets of Coromega Omega 3 to my daily supplements and it has helped a ton... and I get in my healthy heart fats;)  http://www.coromega.com/products/omega3d-squeeze/

RebeccaElise
on 1/9/13 12:56 am - Quincy, MA

I suggest going to a dermatologist. Not all dandruff is just dandruff. It could be psoriasis, eczema, allergic reaction, or even a systemic fungal infection. I went to the derm this past summer for eczema issues and he told me that while I do have eczema, I also had a systemic fungal infection. 10 days of antifungal meds later and 90% of the peeling/itching/flaking was gone. He gave me meds for the eczema, too, and now the remaining 10% is much better.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

Most Active
Recent Topics