My Surgery is in 4 days!!! FREAKING OUT!!!

Miss_CC84
on 1/13/13 10:21 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

I can't believe the day is almost here. I've been waiting since 2010 for this surgery, and now I am less than a week away from having this life changing surgery. I am not scared of the surgery itself, I am scared of how I will feel afterwards. I've read so many success stories, but I have also read things that freak me out... even scare me a little. I guess at this point I am just looking for positive, motivating, and inspirational comments that will keep me an optimistic frame of mind.

angeleigh
on 1/13/13 10:22 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Just keep doing what you have to do. Follow your plan, take your vitamins, drink your water, eat your protein.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

Linzee33
on 1/13/13 11:13 am
RNY on 01/11/13

My surgery was Friday. I'm doing great! Pain is tolerable and controlled. You can do it!!!! You will be so happy u did!!!

JudiJ48
on 1/13/13 11:21 am - Glenview, IL

That's awesome! That will be the first day of your new life!  I did it a lifetime ago in 2003, best thing I ever did for myself!

cajungirl
on 1/13/13 11:25 am
There are no promises but realize the complication rates are small. With your research you chose your surgeon for a reason. Have faith in your choice.

You may have regrets, wonder what the heck you did but know many go through it....this is a huge surgery and it takes some time to recoup and learn your new body. Take it one day at a time and don't hesitate to ask questions.

If you haven't taken pictures yet please do so before your surgery and take measurements. Many don't and regret not doing so. I did and when the weight loss is slow or not at all that's when many measure and find they are losing loads if inches.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

pattyjonichols
on 1/13/13 12:53 pm, edited 1/13/13 12:55 pm

Hello :

We can all tell you DON'T FREAK OUT...but you are going to do what you want to do.  We can each tell you OUR experience, but yours may be different.  

Make sure you have your "protein shakes and new foods"  in the house before you leave, you will be tired for about 3 or 4 weeks.   Take up loose carpets/rugs to prevent trip hazards as you do your walking exercise..You can't lift anything much after surgery.   Get your little suitcase packed ahead...remember you'll have IV's etc so you won't need pajamas, robe etc;  I personally took  a cape and shawl which worked fine.  Keep busy doing things this week.

Now I will tell you my surgery was Nov, 16, 2012  and I did not have any pain.  Seriously, I've not needed anything except for  a pain pill because of  sinus infection this week.   My scars are healed, I've lost about 42 pounds since surgery and I go out with friends, dinner out with my husband also, movies, BUNCO  parties and church.   I hardly remember the surgery and I stayed in the hospital for a week. All this just 7 weeks ago.    When you get home, baby yourself and do read every part of your Bariatric Manual over and over...I still refer to it every day for something. Follow each stage of your eating plan in order.     If you have been waiting for this since 2010 then you are ready.  You will feel tired but oh so happy you made this decision.  Case in point....Last week I put on a pair of my regular  blue jeans and when I started to walk, they really really did fall down around my ankles.   Honest.... I was so happy.  They were a five X.   I went shopping yesterday and came home with 3X....that is what you have been waiting for.  I tell those who ask me about Bariatric surgery.

Pick the best surgeon, supported by a good hospital that offers a great Bariatric follow up, dietician, physical therapy staff and 

Great Bariatric Nurses.   Go to classes before and support groups after.   Stick with the food plan and you can do it dear lady, I promise.    You are a great person and you deserve to have great health and a good feeling about yourself.. Looking awesome is a by-product   hahahaah

God bless you and don't forget to put all of this in his hands...you just go along for the ride.

Hugs,

Pat

Miss_CC84
on 1/15/13 9:18 am - Sault Ste Marie, Canada

Thanks ladies for replying, it really means a lot to me. My surgery is in 2 days now, and I am feeling overwhelmed by reading all the posts on this site, however, I know that I am in the right frame of mind to succeed and I will get through this. I hope I have minimal pain afterwards, I can't afford to be off work for very long. I need to fight through the fatigue, and I hope the bariatric team give me a refresher on how to get the right amount of fluids in protein in the first few weeks after surgery. I had no idea that I would have gas pain, possible dry heaving, water weight gain, etc. Interesting how no one from the bariatric team never mentioned this to me before. Thank you again for all the information and words of support.