Chocolate Protein Mix & Peanutbutter Cravings

RebeccaElise
on 1/16/13 12:54 pm - Quincy, MA

I'm looking for recommendations for a chocolate flavored protein mix, preferably whey isolate, but I'm open to others. I prefer a deep, rich, chocolate flavor that isn't too sweet. Something that tastes like Dove dark chocolate squares would be ideal. Anyone have a product to recommend? Fire away!

Also, I'm having severe cravings for peanut butter. This says a few things to me: 1) It's a comfort food and so I need to find different ways to comfort myself, 2) It contains large amounts of iron and copper and fat, so I may be missing one of these things in my diet. I haven't really been eating much fat lately, so it may be as simple as that. I need alternatives to real peanut butter. I've heard of PB2 and I plan on buying some, but does anyone have any other ideas? Is there a peanut butter protein mix that someone can recommend? Or a protein shake recipe?

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

JJ_
on 1/16/13 1:06 pm

I love the Premier Protein chocolate ready-to-drink shakes.  I will either drink it straight or blend it with ice, frozen banana and some times I will add a tbsp of peanut butter.  Yes, chocolate, banana and peanut butter.   YUM, YUM, YUM. 

Judy

scarlettbegonias
on 1/16/13 2:08 pm - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I love pb2 mixed in with chocolate protein, or vanilla with a little raspberry sf topping.

i can't recommend a chocolate protein sorry, I'm on the other side of he planet:-)

as for the cravings, I craved avocado and walnuts, which I eat when I feel I need them- helped with bathroom issues once I was getting in some good fats too!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Mary Catherine
on 1/16/13 2:43 pm

There is no protein powder yet that tastes like dark chocolate Dove, but you can doctor up your shakes with Hershey special dark chocolate cocoa and splenda to get them really dark.  Use a Magic Bullet to blend the cocoa and splenda with some skim milk first and then add the rest of the milk and protein powder.  Pour into a pretty glass and add a dollop of sugarfree cool whip and a maraschino cherry and drink with a straw.

RebeccaElise
on 1/16/13 3:15 pm - Quincy, MA

Which chocolate protein powder do you recommend that I start with for this kind of shake?

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

ArwensRose
on 1/16/13 3:39 pm
RNY on 09/06/12

Honestly, I suggest you get samples and try a bunch of stuff because everyone tastes are different. 

I have yet to find a chocolate protein that I can stand.  I have tried the premier ... yuck, the Nutro - gross too sweet, the EAS or whatever from Walmart - couldn't get past one drink to just fini****; the GNC double chocolate that is supposed to be the best, blech.  I have tried pretty much every single one and hated all of them. 

However, for everyone that I have tried there is someone on here and other forums that swears that it is the best thing out there.   Tastes for protein drinks are so individual that you really have to try for yourself.  No one can recommend one that you will like, because know one knows what you will like.

Good luck.

Mary Catherine
on 1/16/13 3:59 pm

The best tasting powders are from BSN.  They don't smell like spoiled milk, when you open a jar of BSN powder, it smells like cake mix.  BSN Synthra-6 Chocolate Milkshake and BSN Lean Dessert Chocolate Fudge Pudding are the only chocolates I will drink.  BSN Lean Dessert Whipped Vanilla Cream and BSN Synthra-6 Vanilla Ice Cream are my only choices for vanilla. 

Any other flavors I make using Vanilla or Chocolate and sugarfree syrups, and/or fruit.  I also invested in a Lello, Jr ice cream maker with a built in compressor so that I can quickly and easily turn shakes into high protein ice cream.

poet_kelly
on 1/16/13 4:24 pm - OH

Go to vitalady.com and order a bunch of chocolate and chocolate peanut butter protein shake samples so you can see what you like.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 459 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 415 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 437 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 354 views