Reactive Hypoglycemia

Trianni
on 1/17/13 11:41 am - Maryville, TN
RNY on 04/02/12

I've had a problem over the past two or three months with my blood sugar suddenly dropping. When it would happen I would try to raise it with a planned protein snack and when that didn't work then I gave into the urgent need for the closest carb I could get my hands on...and lots of it. I didn't mention it to my doctor because I (admittedly stupidly) didn't want to know if my diabetes was making a comeback. I finally had an episode so bad that I had no choice but to call my surgeon's office and talk to his nurse. She instantly diagnosed it as reactive hypoglycemia and directed me to immediately call my nutritionist, which I did. My very patient and long-suffering nutritionist then ferreted out the truth. I wasn't abiding by all the rules. I would eat my protein but not always with my carbs. Sometimes long periods of time passed between them. And wasn't it strange that my craving for carbs started showing up about the same time my dropping blood sugars did?

So now I know better and I'm doing my utmost best to comply with the rules. My efforts have re-energized my weight loss. I've lost 3 of the 10 lbs I gained over the holidays and I'm feeling good once again.

Amanda M.
on 1/17/13 11:44 am
RNY on 01/18/13
Good example of why you should follow the plan. There is a plan for a reason.

Glad you are back on track.

MultiMom
on 1/17/13 10:29 pm - NH

That's great that your office nailed it and that your NUT gave you good advice! You may find that you need to have dietary adjustments over time to help control it. Most people can completely control RH with diet alone.

Martha enlightened

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009