OT: Adoption, has anyone gone through a US adoption?

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/19/13 12:47 am
Aw, what a wonderful story. Thank you for sharing, LT.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

jessann5
on 1/19/13 2:57 am - Kansas City, KS

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I have tears in my eyes reading it because I can just feel the love you have for your son in your words. It is so helpful to hear the experiences others have had.

RNY 1/29/08
Pre: BMI 47.6 wt 279
Current: BMI 24.9 wt 146
total pounds lost: 133

Sherry T.
on 1/19/13 3:43 am - GA
RNY on 05/22/12

Love that!  Thank you for sharing!

thynnlynn
on 1/19/13 1:39 am - MI

I think it is wonderful that you are thinking of adopting.  There are so many very young (but not infants) that are lingering in foster homes, yearning for a forever family.  If you can see your way past an infant (and you might even be able to skip potty-training), there are so many children in America that need a home.

Whatever you choose, I hope you are successful.

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

SandraF0823
on 1/19/13 4:20 am - CA
RNY on 12/30/13
I suffered through infertility, had lots of miscarriages. There is a message board called ivfconnections.com. it was a lifesaver for me. There is a board for adoption. I ended up having success with IVF.

My heart goes out to you. Infertility is so hard.
Tom D.
on 1/19/13 10:04 am

We adopted our son when he was 9 he will be 18 in a few months,  he is doing well in school and has friends etc.  he does not have any special needs or big issues that you hear about.  We did a foster to adopt program in our state.  it was not expensive and we had to foster him for about 8 months before we could adopt.  the key to adoption is to review the information in the files prior to a placement.  Go to information meetings etc.  foster care classes were required in our state to get the licence.  we had to have a home study,  which was not a big deal,  you have to have ho****er,  heat, a fist aid kit, and an emergency ladder if the child will be on a second floor.  it was basic stuff like that.  we saw the social worker 2 times during the 8 months.  We have been very happy with our decision to  adopt.  It has been a great ride.

When you al of the sudden have a child in the house you will start to have hall way sex which means as you walk past each other you say f you because your nerves will be shot and you will be stressed out but that is normal for most people. When you adopt you hit the ground running because the child in mostly already able o get into stuff etc.   but it is worth it.

Sorry I rambled so much.

marye140
on 1/20/13 12:44 am - DE
My husband and I adopted 2 newborns from the hospital. The girls are 4 and 8 now. We decided not to try IVF. Private adoption laws very by state. In Delaware you are required to go through an agency. Wait times vary. Birth parents often choose families for their babies. We were fortunate. Once home study ready we waited 4 months for our first and 10 months for our second. Costs vary, I would say anywhere from 15 k to 35 k depending on private program. The adoption tax credit was a big help but that is not taken until the tax year you finalize after you have paid all the expenses.
My house will never again be as clean as it was for my home study due to my little lovelies.

HW: 298   SW:263  CW:139   RNY 8/1/12