Ritalin and RNY any one else out there taking ADD medication?

Darlene O.
on 1/23/13 9:34 am - Cypress, TX
RNY on 01/02/13 with

I have been taking Ritalin regular not extended release for about 5 years for ADD.  I had my RNY 3 weeks ago and wanted to start back on them. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there that takes ADD medication after RNY. If so what has your experience been?  Did it work the same or did you need to have the strength increased?

Darlene

emt_amy
on 1/23/13 9:49 am - MN
i havent been on anything for my add for a few years, i want to go back on it also. id think start at your usual dose and if it doesnt seem to be working have them increase it. none of my other meds had to be increased. i thought my antidepressants would have needed to be.

keep me posted!!

yippeex8
on 1/23/13 12:16 pm - Jenison, MI

I have been taking Adderall for about a year, after taking Concerta for several years. The adderall is extended release, so I went back to a 10 mg ritalin each day. I'm 4 weeks out, and think I want to try an adderall again. I'll wait until my 6 wk checkup, I think...but then again, maybe not. ;) 

I'm sure that the 10 mg works well for me for a much shorter duration, since my adderall is 30 mg, twice a day. I'm sure if I were to get a job, I'd NEED 30 mg at least once a day.

Jill

Darlene O.
on 1/23/13 9:32 pm - Cypress, TX
RNY on 01/02/13 with

I take 10mg Ritalin 3 times a day.  I don't think you can take any type of extended release after RNY.  The digestive system can't process it like it used to.  You will probably have to do the regular kind a few times a day.  You are one week ahead of me.  I am 3 weeks out. 

Darlene

Most Active
Recent Topics