Need help....Will they hold me for psych with these issues???

RainbowRN
on 1/30/13 11:51 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

So the only thing left that I have before I can schedule surgery is my psych appt on Monday.  I am super nervous because I don't want anything to hold me up.  I have a huge history of psych issues but nothing recent.  Nothing in the last 11 years.  Except, one year ago I had some major anxiety and agitation, I was referred to see a psychiatrist one time which I did and nothing ever came of it because it was discovered that the reason that I had those episodes was a bad reaction to birth control.  I stopped taking the birth control and all the anxiety and agitation ended.  

So since I am an open book I will tell you that my "huge" psych history is abusive household growing up (sexual, emotional and physical), depression with suicidal thoughts but no attempts, a 3 day inpatient psych stay when I was 19 (16 years ago), binge eating, emotional eating, and anxiety.  Long story short.... I had a ****ty childhood and it took me from age 18-24 to deal with everything and get on with my life....of which I did.  I have had NO issues since I was 24 years old and now I am 35.  So my question is....Do any of you believe that they will hold me up from surgery to do some counseling sessions?  I don't want it and I am fine but I am really concerned.  I am afraid to tell them any of this but I can't lie because it is all in my chart from a psych visit last year when I had those panic attacks but it was discovered as birth conrol pill issues. 

What do you guys think?

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 11:56 am - OH

I really doubt it.  I have a much more extensive psych history, with two suicide attempts, some self-injurious behavior, and more than a dozen hospitalizations.  Prior to my WLS, my last hospitalization was two years before that.  I have depression, PTSD and DID.  None of that held things up for me.

What they will want to know is if you're currently binge eating or doing much emotional eating (I think most people do some emotional eating), what coping skills you have for dealing with those things now, if you're suicidal, if you were compliant with your treatment when you were in treatment, and how you're doing now.  I would be honest with them.  I would also tell them that if you become too depressed or anxious or anything like that after surgery, you plan to seek treatment.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

apurdie
on 1/30/13 12:21 pm - CA

I am sorry to bother you, Kelly, but just reading this response from you, makes me realize again what an amazing gift you ate to us all.  You have walked a path on a road where you can meet us all.  Thank you for your honesty and greeting of us who have survived...somehow.  Allison

poet_kelly
on 1/30/13 12:22 pm - OH

Oh, you're certainly not bothering me.  Thanks for your kind words.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

kmbella363
on 1/31/13 1:21 am - Waterbury, CT

I would also like to thank you for all you do Kelly. I have been following your posts for about 2 years and you have helped me many times by the way you answered others.  I rarely post but mostly because any questions I might have are answered by others before I have a chance to ask them. I respect your directness and honesty.  We have very similar issues....I applaud your strength!

RebeccaElise
on 1/31/13 9:57 am - Quincy, MA

Kelly, thank you for mentioning your issues. I, too, have been diagnosed w/PTSD, depression, and DID. I had a MAJOR struggle to get approved by the psychologist for surgery.  It took me 2 years and a bunch of arm twisting because they were afraid that I wouldn't be able be compliant with all the post-op rules, due to the DID.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

poet_kelly
on 1/31/13 10:04 am - OH

I just had my psychiatrist, that I'd been seeing for a long time, do my psych eval.  And like many psychiatrists, he doesn't pay much attention to the DID.  He prescribes meds for my depression.  So I don't think he even thought about how the DID might affect compliance.  Has that been an issue for you?  It hasn't been much of a problem for me, but we are co-conscious for the most part and have pretty good communication and cooperation.  I can see how it could be a problem if that wasn't the case.

RebeccaElise
on 1/31/13 10:18 am - Quincy, MA

The weight center I went to required evaluation from their in-house psychologist who knew very little about DID, other than the basics covered in grad school. Compliance has been an issue in some minor ways. The calcium supplement I was taking was a problem because of the texture/flavor, so I had to order a different one. And there's a huge appreciation for orange food in the system, so I've had to get creative with identifying foods on the diet that are orange or can be made orange with food coloring (orange mashed cauliflower, anyone?) I also bought an orange stainless steel water bottle and protein shake cup, which has helped motivation for drinking the water and protein shakes.

We have about 90% co-consciousness and 80% of the time we communicate and cooperate - even if there's some push back or grumpiness here or there things still get done, for the most part.

My mood has been really up and down since the surgery and I've been having to push back against the urge to isolate too much, but I think some of that is par for the course with surgery, and some of that is just how things are for me whenever there is a major change...at least until we adjust.

Come visit me on my blog, Through a Cooking Glass! I talk about my journey through WLS and learning to live, cook, and eat on the other side.  

poet_kelly
on 1/31/13 10:27 am - OH

Oh, I can only imagine how the average psychologist would know almost nothing about DID.  Just from you telling me what you've done with orange foods/beverages, it sounds to me like you're using creative problem solving and that you probably figured out long before WLS how to work with everyone in the system to get cooperation when needed. 

Oxford Comma Hag
on 1/30/13 11:59 am
I don't think so. I have some of those same issues plus major chronic depression (medicated for about eleven years), and the psychiatrist signed me off.
His main concern was making certain I didn't have issues that would make me unable to comply with the dietary and lifestyle changes needed.
I was very frank. He just told me that if I needed to talk to someone to let him know so he could refer me or to get a referral from my family doc.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 237 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 266 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 312 views
What's on your Monday Menu?