Pain in my back. Is this normal?

Galpals00
on 2/5/13 9:24 am - TX
I am two and a half weeks post op and last night I got this incredible pain in my back on the left side. Can't even stand to lay on it or have hubby touch it. I tried every thing to relieve it, laid on floor, walked, gas x, restroom, even pain meds. Meds took pain away for about twenty minutes then it returned. Then it came in waves after that. Today I am tired and mild pain in same area. And when I move I get a stabbing pain where my main incision is that goes thru to the back! Gas anyone experienced this? Should I go to ER?
Sue G.
on 2/5/13 10:23 am - NH
RNY on 01/22/13

Call your surgeon and if too late, go to the ER. I would not ignore it.

HW: 242  SW: 212   GW:134

Mary Catherine
on 2/5/13 2:32 pm

Hoping nothing serious, but not normal at all

rbb825
on 2/5/13 3:33 pm - Suffern, NY

You definitely need to call your Surgeon or your surgeon's emergency phone line to see what he says to do.  He will probably tell you to go to the ER but you want to go to the ER of the hospital that you had your surgery at not, a local hospital if it is a different one than your surgery.  It is not normal to have stabbing pains at 2 weeks out, yes some pain at the incisions - you said main incision - are you open or laproscopic? Laproscopic should have many little ones, no main one - and an open  one should just have 1 incision, so I am confused about you saying the main incision?

It is common for us to have post op pain on the right side which can be due to the gallbladder but that is usually much further down the road, not 2 weeks and gas pains wouldnt be stabbing.  Gallbladder and pancreatitis can both be shooting to the back but they are both on the right side.

The only thing that I can think of on the left side and it really depends on where on the left side - now this has absolutely nothing to do with your incisions though - does it hurt in the front shooting to the back or is it on the left side around the back - in the flank area?  If you dont know where the flank area is - it is mid way down your back on the side.  If this is what it is, it could be from kidney stones.  You would need to go to the ER to have your urine checked for blood and protein as well as a CT scan to check for stones.  If this is what it is, it can be absolutely unbearable.  Some people can pass them and others have then get stuck in the ureters and that requires a form of surgery via a cystoscopy.  I have had 5 of them in the past year and a half.

Either way, you need to get to an ER to find out what is going on

Kat Kat
on 2/5/13 4:15 pm - AZ

Yes, go to the ER, this is not normal.

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 3 replies · 19 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 242 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 297 views