Forgot to fast

apurdie
on 2/6/13 8:29 am - CA

I had my first labs drawn today and I forgot I was suppose to fast. How will this effect the results?  I had only had one protein bar for breakfast.  Thanks!  Ps I am 10 weeks post

angeleigh
on 2/6/13 8:43 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Did you tell the person doing the lab work that you hadnt fasted? It will effect some things, but not knowing what they were testing its hard to stay how it will effect the results. I dont think I have had to a fasting blood draw since before pre-op.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

apurdie
on 2/6/13 8:48 am - CA

I can't imagine it would affect it that much.  I had all the normal things checked on, Bs, Ds, iron, CBC,, etc.  thanks for responding.

poet_kelly
on 2/6/13 8:58 am - OH

Some things it will, some things it won't.  They didn't ask you if you had been fasting before drawing the blood?  You can check this website to see which tests should be done fasting: http://labtestsonline.org/

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

apurdie
on 2/7/13 11:10 am - CA

Poet-Kelly, my nut. Told me about the Vit D and osteoporosis, but I didn't get all the facts of how but will ask her again next session in two weeks.  Allison

SarahLee1969
on 2/6/13 10:03 am - NY
Are you certain you were supposed to fast? I know many people associate labs with fasting. That being said, my surgeon's office does not routinely order fasting labs, especially for early post op where intake is so low. Unless, of course, there is something they need to see fasting... like a lipid panel.
Jilly Bean
on 2/6/13 10:41 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

Yes, it affects lab results, esp your fasting glucose. They will redraw in my experience.  

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

apurdie
on 2/6/13 11:41 am - CA

Thank you.  I was able to look on the site Poet-Kelly recommended and see that not fasting effects cholesterol and glucose.  I think I will ask my dr. to retest.