Vitamin D and Calcium Absorbtion

Megan S.
on 2/6/13 9:40 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I'm preop and my vitamin D levels are already low. So should I plan on taking even higher doses of vitamin D after surgery and if so that has to be DRY vitamin D right? I was going to buy it now, but not sure if I should wait to see what the doc says. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

P.S. One month from today at this exact time I'll be going in for my surgery...so excited!!!

poet_kelly
on 2/6/13 9:45 pm - OH

After surgery it needs to be dry D3 - not D2, not in oil.  Most post ops I  know need at least 10,000 IU D3 a day to maintain a good level. The Linus Pauling Institute says we need out vitamin D level to be at least 80 in order to absorb calcium properly.  We'll absorb some calcium if it's lower, but we won't absorb it as well.

If your D level is already low, then yeah, I would start taking D3 right away.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megan S.
on 2/6/13 9:53 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Thanks Kelly...your always so informative!!!

emt_amy
on 2/7/13 12:20 am - MN
im taking 5,000 iu of d3 on top of whats in with my calcium dose. i know other people that are taking 50,000 iu a week to keep it up. as a minnesotan my levels were low to begin with and the dr didnt do squat till it was almost too late...... starrt taking em now and i will be second nature to ya further down.....

Megan S.
on 2/7/13 1:29 am - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

I'm only taking 8000 iu a wk (1600 a day) is that not enough?

ShebasMom
on 2/7/13 12:51 pm
Revision on 07/05/16

Not necessarily. What is your level? Pre-op, I was only taking 2000 a day (soft gels), because there wasn't any malabsorption.  Post-op, I'm need to take 10,000 a day of dry D3 to keep my level > 80. 

HW322 SW296 GW150 LW196 

RNY 8-29-11

Revision to Distal bypass 7-5-16

SW262 GW165 

John 3:16

poet_kelly
on 2/7/13 10:08 pm - OH

Depends on your labs.  The Vitamin D Council recommends 5000 IU daily for "normal" folks.  After RNY, you'll most likely need more than that.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Megan S.
on 2/7/13 11:30 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

should I wait till my labs come back or just start it by myself?

Most Active
Recent Topics