Pureed....HELP!

Melinda S.
on 2/17/13 1:27 am - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
So I am on the pureed portion of my post op diet which I am understanding to be soft foods. I have been okay with everything thus far, beans, yogurt, eggs. Here's my problem I have never had a problem cookings as a matter of fact I LOVE to cook. Bit now I need to change the way I cook. I don't want to push my pouch since she has been so good to be so far. But I need some variety, plus my husband is hungry :). I've looked at eggface and she has amazing receipts but I didn't see any for my stage. I am preparing a grocery list now. And help.would be appreciated. I go back to work Tuesday and need to be prepared.
Winnie_the_Pooh
on 2/17/13 1:36 am

Meatloaf or meatballs with maranara (chewed well)

cottage cheese with applesauce

chicken, tuna, egg salad

Winnie

CeciliaH.
on 2/17/13 1:38 am

I ate cottage cheese, apple sauce, homemade mashed potatoes, squash casserole from Cotton Patch, ricotta cheese with pasta sauce and cheese on top (mock lasagna), eggs, yogurt, and puddings. It won't take much to feel full, and that's the biggest adjustment when packing your lunch and your dinner plate.  Do you have a scale, weigh your food.  At that stage I averaged 3 oz. per meal and still relied on protein drinks to meet the daily requirement. 

Good luck! 

HW 250lbs., Lab Band 6/2010 213lbs., revised to RNY 12/18/2012 224lbs., CW 186, GW 150lbs. 

Melinda S.
on 2/17/13 1:43 am - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
Can I have pasta at this point? I also saw a high protein low fat pancake but I am not even sure I can have that? It's had to get information.
poet_kelly
on 2/17/13 1:52 am - OH

Pureed food is blended, so it's smooth, like baby food or mashed potatoes.    It's not just soft food, it's blended until smooth.

I don't think pasta is a great idea so early out since it's low in protein, high in carbs, a good many people have trouble tolerating - plus it just sounds gross to me, pureed pasta.

Try refried beans, Greek yogurt, blended cottage cheese, ricotta cheese with marinara sauce, egg salad or tuna salad pureed, chili pureed, or meat and vegetable soup pureed.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Mary Catherine
on 2/17/13 1:58 am

My husband did not have surgery and still needed to eat.  I would make spaghetti and meatballs for him and have some of the sauce over ricotta for me.  Chicken and noodle soup with hot biscuits for him and I would just have some broth and vegetables in the blender.  Pork chops or steak with mashed potatoes and I would have a bite of the potatoes. He still had his normal meals and I would eat whatever part of that meal was appropriate for me. 

Melinda S.
on 2/17/13 2:09 am - TX
RNY on 02/05/13
Thanks guys this helps. My Dr office gave a very short list of items. What about fruits and veggies? I'm craving cucumber and hummus????

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 2/17/13 3:08 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

I would say yes to the hummus...no to the cukes. My hubby had surgery in November and during the pureed stage tried to eat something (without me knowing) that was too hard and we almost had to go the ER because of his pain. When he talked to the dr on call they said that there was a reason that he was supposed to eat pureed foods and that his pouch and insides were still healing.

I would stick with pureed until you are told to move on to other things.Do you like refried beans? I did refried beans, cheese and taco seasoning blended for my hubby....also canned chicken, ricotta and spaghetti sauce as well as ground beef, pickles and fat free mayo. My hubby said it tasted like a pureed Big Mac. lol

Good Luck!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

Larry Wassmann
on 2/17/13 5:30 am - Lacey, WA
RNY on 05/09/12

I know this is going to sound crazy to you but I had the puree stage for a month and got sick of the same thing all the time. I went to the store and got several of the diet TV type dinners form WW and other brands. I just took out the main part and put it in my bullet blender and pureed it. I ate that even though it looked like cat food. Gave the rest of the dinner to my wife as she had the same things as I each night except she did not have to puree hers. This gives you just about an endless variety of things to eat. Worked for me and lost steady all during that time. Just stay away from the pasta dinners.

fb.png   Visit my Blog at  http://www.lwassmann.blogspot.com/                                

65rosesmom
on 2/17/13 5:59 am

Pureed was really hard for me.  I pretty much stuck with full liquids until I was ready for soft foods because the idea of blenderizing my food just repulsed me.    I really enjoyed brocolli cheddar soup from panera at that time, chili was okay blended, I added protein powder (unflavored or chicken soup flavored) to mashed potatoes.    Like the others refried beans helped a lot, as did tuna salad, chicken salad, and shrimp salad.   I also would make family staples and just eat what I could.   I made chicken enchiladas and only ate the mushy filling with no tortilla.   

I know its hard, but it will get so much easier.  You will hardly remember the first 6 weeks once you get a little further out.

Heather   Mom to 3  
Surgery August 9, 2012
HW = 225, SW= 205, CW 135 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 430 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 363 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 447 views