Weigh****chers and no support. PLEASE help

cajungirl
on 2/19/13 3:58 am, edited 2/19/13 4:02 am

Melaine you have to do what YOU need to do to get back on track and feel good about yourself. If it's WW, then just do it.  WW is a good program, the accountability of meetings is very good for people that need the accountability.  I have a friend that had RNY in 2006 that has been going and following WW for a LONG time.  She just felt better about herself by attending meetings and being allow snacks that weren't 100% protein based (although she did make sure she met her protein goals).

You can do this....40 lbs is manageable although it won't be as easy to lose as it was initially it's doable.  Catch the regain NOW before it becomes another 40 lbs then you'll really feel out of control and all kind of fear will be there.

Be sure to log your intake while you are doing this to be sure you aren't shorting yourself on protein.  The WW program may also need to be slightly modified for you and your personal success.

Please let us know how you are doing!  Have faith you have the tool to get back to your goals.

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

lady_myst
on 2/19/13 4:47 am

way to step up and see a change needs to happen!  GREAT first step!  WW is certainly an option.  Might I also suggest getting back into your support groups.  I hear you say that you are embarrassed and I know you are honest about that.  However, obesity is a life long disease for some.  (I say some because I don't want to speak for everyone!  We are all unique individuals.)  I know my support group is very open to folks coming back and offer phone numbers and support.  When you are learning to ride a bike and you fall off, did people stand over you and shame you for falling or did they help you get up and tell you to get right back on?  I hope they helped you up.  That's what I think my support group does for me and others.  You spoke about feeling like you lost or are losing control.  Most of my fight with obesity takes place in my head and not my tummy.  Perhaps you might benefit from seeing a counselor who specializes in either addictions or (preferably) eating disorders.  I still see a counselor.  My fight has just begun with this disease and I want all the tools in my belt I can get!  Give yourself permission to get better.  Focusing on your embarrassment over this takes your energy away from doing something about it.  Where your attention goes, your energy flows.  Change the message you give yourself.  Instead of beating yourself up, start by saying, You are worth getting healthy.  You are capable of change.  You deserve to feel healthy.  Add to it.  Even if you feel stupid at first, just keep repeating it.  Finally, back to basics!  Protein first.  Shut off the television and the stress as much as possible when it is time to eat.  Sit at the table.  Use smaller plates and measure portions if you have too.  Take small bites and chew.  Pay attention to how the food tastes and feels.  Really chew well before you swallow.  Learn to put your silverware down in between bites.  Watch your liquid intake at meals as well.  Drink a glass of water before you eat.  Then only sip if you have to while you eat.  Don't drink a lot for an hour after you have eaten.  My NUT recommends 64 ounces of water per day.  Water.  Not other liquids.  Take those vitamins and supplements.  Concentrate on lean proteins.  Ask your NUT how many carbs you are to be getting a day.  And move.  That 4 year old will love going outside to play with you.  OR dancing to a WII game.  Or trying to keep up with a Zumba video.  Or going swimming with mom.  Use your child as a weight and just play!  lol.  You can do this and you are worth it.  One thing at a time.   

1. support group

2. counseling

3. Protein protein protein.

4. water

5. movement

6. Pay attention to eating (small plate...etc as listed above.) 

You can do this!  It isn't a diet.  It is a lifestyle change.  Imagine eating to have energy to play with your children and keep up with your life instead of eating to eat or for entertainment or enjoyment.  Diets never did work for me.  Changing how I thought of food and thinking of it as a fuel for living my life the way I enjoy has really worked.  Do I indulge sometimes?  YUP.  But I budget for it or my engine gets junked up and I dont feel like I am running at peak.  Try not to think of it as a mountain.  This is one small mole hill at a time.  One small change.  You have done this!  YOU SURVIVED LABOR.  YOU ARE A MOTHER!  YOU BROUGHT LIFE INTO THIS WORLD.  Good God you are empowered!  I tremble before you!  *grin*   If you want to talk...send me a message.  I will be a cheerleader if you wish! 

noftessa0401
on 2/19/13 4:57 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

I think at this point you are upset, confused, embarrassed, and need support.  WW is perfect.  You need someone to hold your hand.  You know what you need to do, but taking the first step is SO hard, and it is much easier when you are doing it in the confines of a program.  So, do it!

My only caveat is, however, that at some point, you are going to need to let go of that hand and start walking on your own.  If you have the strength to eventually do this (it could be in a year!), then WW sounds like it could be for you.  If you want someone else to make your food choices for you, and you just put your head in the sand and blindly follow along, then WW might not be for you.  But, that just means you haven't found your program yet.

At one point, my life was so stressful, so hectic, so hard, that I was tired of making choices.  I just wanted someone to tell me what to do, so I could do it.  And I found that in Jenny Craig - for a while.  Clearly, given that I had the surgery, it didn't work long-term for me.  But I do understand having a young kid (I have a 5-year old daughter), and it is tough.  You just need to figure out what you need/want short-term, and what you need/want long-term, and then find a program that will work for both (or you can switch programs when you are ready).  But don't get down because you need help - we all need help.  Some of us (me included) are too stubborn (dumb) to ask for it.  You are not - so congrats on that, and get going!  I feel that you can do this!!

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)