Pre-op protein shakes make me feel pukey

jess_77
on 2/23/13 10:48 am - ND

I am on Day 3 of my pre-op diet.  I have to drink 3 shakes a day, have one frozen meal under 320 cals and can basically eat as much veggies, broth and sugar free jello I want.  I have been making sure I get as much water in as I can.  I am not dehydrated but by the time I have my 2nd or 3rd shake of the day I feel very sick to my stomach.  I haven't thrown up yet thank god.  I have found if I eat my microwave meal (which has been pasta) this feeling goes away.  So my thought is it has something to do with the high protein low carb diet.  Any advice?  I have 11 more days of this.

Thanks,

Jess

poet_kelly
on 2/23/13 11:00 am - OH

Are you mixing the shake with milk?  Is that more milk than you're used to drinking?

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

jess_77
on 2/23/13 11:23 am - ND

I probably am drinking a little more milk than usual but not much.  1 cup of milk per shake, I usually drink 2 cups with supper before the shakes.  I am using the Bariatric advantage shakes and they taste fine but nausea is not fun.  The package itself says to use water but the nutrionist wants us to use milk or soy milk to get more protein.  Maybe I'll try my last one tonight with water.  I feel much better after having my smart one meal. 

Jess

ncbrwneyedgurl
on 2/23/13 11:47 am - Raleigh, NC
RNY on 02/27/13

Jess,

I have the same issue with the nausea after drinking the protein shakes....I have to mix them with water so it is not because of milk for me, I am wondering if it is the mix...not sure but I only 3 more days thank goodness! Best of luck with your journey!

Jennifer in NC (banded 09/08, band removed 11/19/12, approved for RNY 02/14/13, Surgery 2/27/13)

cstarr
on 2/23/13 1:46 pm
RNY on 11/15/12
You might try a soy protein shake. Thats what my dr told me to try. Or mix it with soy milk or almond milk.

cstarr

hopindai
on 2/23/13 8:56 pm - MD

I tried everything out there. It is important to get a high quality meal replacement. Plant based non genetically modified protein has been the best for me. I would be glad to give you more info. contact me [email protected] 

We are not suppose to post links here :-(

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 130 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 33 replies · 317 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 269 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 48 replies · 436 views