Can't handle liquids...

CraftySuzy17
on 2/25/13 2:18 am - Dallas, GA
RNY on 02/18/13

I am a week post op. I am handling food fairly well, but liquids are somewhat painful. I am sipping small amounts of only water or flavored water. I can feel it go down and as soon as it hits my pouch it hurts. It bubbles and is uncomfortable. If I burp it relieves some of the discomfort but sometimes burping hurts as well. I am thirsty and my mouth is dry a lot of the time, but I hate drinking anything because it takes about 20 minutes to feel somewhat normal again. I'm trying to reach my fluid goal but I'm having a hard time. I think I have read that this is normal and gets better over time, but thoughts and suggestions are welcomed!

Kendra C.
on 2/25/13 3:14 am - Wiesbaden, Germany

I am also one week post op tomorrow. I noticed the same problems you are having. I have tried to make sure my liquids are not too cold although I can tolerate SF Popsicles. Go figure. 

CraftySuzy17
on 2/25/13 3:27 am - Dallas, GA
RNY on 02/18/13

I can do the SF popsicles too...lol. I think it has to do with the way it goes down. Although I'm not swallowing huge gulps of liquid when I drink. Best of luck to you!

AlohaJen
on 2/25/13 3:16 am
RNY on 09/05/12

You are very early out..... when I was a week post op, I basically lived on sugar free popsicles !  For some reason, my pouch did not like water and still doesn't, so I live on unsweetened tea, watered down....  even now, I eat popsicles everyday and I am 6 mos out !!  I love my liquids cold with ice, but maybe you should try warm liquids if you are drinking cold ones or vice versa......  be easy on yourself.....  even 6 months later, I still struggle with liquids and protein sometimes!  Good luck, you will get the hang of it.....

HW 304   SW 258  CW 199  GW  160?

noftessa0401
on 2/25/13 3:22 am - San Diego, CA
RNY on 12/27/12

So far, you've gotten some good suggestions.  Try different temperatures, different flavors.  Popsicles, soups (broths), teas, etc.  Also, try a straw.  In the beginning, when I sipped my fluids, I was taking in way too much air.  With a straw, I take in significantly less air, and my pain drastically reduced. 

HW: 274 | SW: 232 | CW: 137 | Goal: 145 (ticker includes a 42 pound loss pre-op) | Height: 5'4"

M1: -24 (205) | M2: -14 (191) | M3: -11 (180) | M4: -7 (173) | M5: -7 (166) | M6: -8 (158) | M7: -11 (147) | M8: -2 (145) | M9: -3 (142) | M10: -2 (140) | M11: -4 (136) | M12: -2 (134) | M13: -0 (134) | M14: -3 (131) | M15: +4 (135) | M16: +2 (137)

Jan W.
on 2/25/13 3:22 am
RNY on 09/04/12

And my doctor thought I was nuts! I went through this same problem. It got worse for me before it got better (had to go on nutritional supplements via a Picc Line for almost 2 months, which made me gain weight), but there are a couple of things you need to rule out first. My doc sent me for another EGD and then a CT scan of my stomach and intestines to make sure there were no leaks that were just not easily visible. Also, he told me that having something stuck can cause a similar problem. He had me try Gas X (the one for infants, and it did nothing, by the way), and lots of Prilosec to make sure there were no ulcers trying to form. We never did find the actual cause of the problem, and like I said, I had to go on nutritional supplements because I was so dehydrated they were starting to get worried. With that said, while I was using the nutrition, I was told to eat and drink in addition to get my stomach used to the intake. I really think that was the biggest problem. My new stomach just didn't want to cooperate! Also someone at that point told me that there is another mental battle that many of us have to fight. The one that says, "but I need to keep a tiny bit of room in my stomach for that bite of (whatever it is that sounds good)" and so we don't fill up on a liquid. It was a huge thing for me to know it was okay to be full from my drink rather than from food! That may not be true for you, but it might help.

Anyway, my nutritionist told me repeatedly, focus on the liquids first, and even if the protein or the vitamins have to be skipped just for a day or two, staying hydrated is the biggest priority. After a while you will feel more able to take actual drinks too. Personally, sipping was a problem. I think I swallowed more air between sips than I do when I can have a more "normal" drink. Granted that will take a little while for you. But its something to look forward to and maybe that will help too!

I haven't given you any real answers, but if any of my experience makes yours easier, then I am happy! And today I weighed in and I am 69 lbs down, and that is AFTER gaining weight back for 2 months. It's such an exciting journey!

I don't get on here often (I should; it's an amazing resource), but if you have any other questions, I will try to remember to look on here over the next few days.

Good Luck!

CraftySuzy17
on 2/25/13 3:31 am - Dallas, GA
RNY on 02/18/13

Thanks so much ladies! It does help to hear that some have experienced the same things. Thank you for the suggestions!

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/25/13 3:45 am

I am almost 5 years post op and plain water still hurts. I don't tolerate plain water. A few sips and I am done.  I cna drink not too cold flavored water, or warm teas, coffee.  It can't be too hot - too hot - hurts also.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Teakster
on 2/25/13 4:28 am

I had issues early out with liquids as well. I found I handled flavored things like lemonade, SF of course, and Powerade Zero better than just plain water. Also, popcicles & broth are a good way to get the fluids in. It was truly a battle getting enough fluids & nourishment the first few weeks. Keep on trying, even when you feel like giving up. Take small sips ALL DAY LONG. Hang in there. This will soon pass & the best is yet to come. :)

RoyzgIrl
on 2/25/13 5:14 am

I could not drink water right away, and still to this day it does not 'sit'' well in my pouch. I started up with Powerade Zero, and it has been a life saver for me, I don't know what the difference is, but I can drink that when I can't drink anything else. Just a suggestion. Its a long road with quite a few bumps..you'll get through it!! :)

Chris

Christy

"the two most important days of your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why"